DVD Store for All Regions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Darren_Fu, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Darren_Fu

Darren_Fu Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone out there have some good links to internet stores that sell Regions 1,2,3,4, Etc, etc all on the same site? I have been finding sites that just sell for a certain region, but not for all. One last question....if you have a dvd player that will play all regions and it will also play NTSC or PAL....don't you still need a PAL capable TV in order to watch PAL discs? Because of course I have a Sony 57" that was bought in the states so I assume it is NTSC. I would not be able to watch a DVD that was for example a PAL Region 2 UK released DVD...isn't that right?

Thanks for any help given,

DF

HTF is the best forum that I have visited!!

2. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I believe that the multi-region players make the PAL discs NTSC compatible. I haven't found any stores that sell dvds from all regions. sorry. Good idea though.

3. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

cd-wow

CDWOW

but probably not 100% what you're after. the logic behind their inventory seems a little off whack. they don't stock every dvd for every region. sometimes they'll just stock the region 2 of a title, or just the region 1, or the region 1 and region 3 or sometimes both. and they only stock some of the major region 1 releases, not all, but they will if a lot of people ask for it. but this is the closest i've come across to an all region store.

4. Darren_Fu

What would make a PAL DVD not able to be shown on a NTSC TV? I mean if you have a DVD player that will play any type of disc, what is going to cause it not to be shown on the TV?

I am puzzled? [​IMG]

DF

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

It will show something on the TV, but since it's the wrong kind of signal, it will be all messed up. To actually watch PAL movies you need a DVD player that does PAL->NTSC conversion. Think of it like trying to play a 45 record on a 33 1/3 player, only worse.

6. MikeMeehan

MikeMeehan Stunt Coordinator

dvdpricecheck.co.uk

7. Todd Bennington

You may want to check out www.nicheflix.com as well. They are an all region on-line movie rental service, like Netflix. I've been a member for a couple of months and have been really happy (not to mention enjoying great dvds from around the world without having to buy them all, blindly). You should check it out. As far as the PAL part goes, I'm guessing most players that play both PAl and NTSC will do the conversion for you. the only possible glitch might be an inability to correctly convert anamorphic PAL to NTSC but the newer chipsets seem to have pretty much solved this problem. What sort of player do you have?

8. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Supporting Actor

9. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

DVD players that play any region and do a great job of converting PAL to NTSC are very common right now. For less than $90 you can get a Toshiba SD-4900 that does a great job and has DVD-Audio as a bonus. All you have to do is burn a CD-ROM with a hack from www.dvdrhelp.com and load it. This site will also give you plenty of information on other low cost DVD players than can play any region discs and PAL.

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Be sure to check user reviews on the cheapo players though - many (if not most) do the pal to ntsc conversion by just removing lines of resolution rather than scaling the image like a Malata DVD player will. If lines of resolution are just removed, you'll have a very jagged and ugly picture.

So to sum up, there are two hurdles: Playing discs from different regions, and converting the signal from PAL to NTSC. Happily, both can sometimes be resolved by entering a code into a service menu or updating firmware, as Jay noted.

-Dave

11. Darren_Fu

This is some great info....I don't think I will be able to play PAL discs because my DVD player is only multi-regional. It claims that you will need a PAL TV or Video Converter to view PAL movies. I have the Sony DVP-NC665 Progressive Scan 5 Disc Changer with the mod chip of course built in. Here is what it says about some of the features:

*5-disc DVD/CD Changer
    *PAL/NTSC Playback
    (To play PAL movies you need a PAL TV or a Video converter)
    *Plays all DVD movies from regions 1-6 and RCE/REA coded movies

My TV is a Sony 57" Widescreen HDTV. It of course is NTSC but it also says it is ATSC. I do not know what that is. I am sure someone does though.

I am really stumped on the DVD player issue. I would really like to play movies from regions 2 and 4 but I do not want to have to buy a video converter. Is there a way around that???? Finally thank you to everyone that posted websites of good multi regional movies.

DF

12. Darren_Fu

Bump

13. Ermo

Ermo Auditioning

Apart from Amazon, CD-WOW and some asian sites that sell region 3 + 2(Japan), I don't know any stores that sell dvd's from multiple regions (region 0 aside). But why would you like to have such a store?

14. Alex K.

Alex K. Agent

Axelmusic.com is a great shop.

15. Todd Bennington

I guess your situation seems to boil down to this: will your HDTV display a PAL signal? I don't know the answer to that but I'm guessing someone in the TV section of the hardware forums could help you. You'll want to get this figured out as the majority of R2/R4 dvds are PAL (Japaneses discs being the notable exception). If your TV can't display the PAL signal you may have to spring for a new player. Luckily you should be able to get a decent one that'll do what you want for pretty cheap (the main determinate for that purchase may well have to do with the quality of the progressive scan capability - hardware fourms could help you with that as well). Good luck! Being fully region free is a great!

16. Gregory Vaughan

Gregory Vaughan Stunt Coordinator

Since you have an HDTV, you may want to consider a scaling DVD player that supports PAL. This way, you don't lose any resolution from the PAL format, since it uses all the PAL scan lines to convert to HDTV resolutions. I have the Momitsu. It has its share of faults (mostly cheap construction), but PAL dvds look great.

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Some, but not all mulit-region DVD players will also play both PAL and NTSC. Some of the multi-region DVD players, but not all that play both PAL and NTSC will do the PAL/NTSC conversion. And, as others have said, not all DVD players that do this conversion are equal.

If your TV does not support PAL (and almost none that are made in the U.S. do—for sure yours does not)you must either buy a PAL/NTSC converter and hook it up between your DVD player and TV, or buy a new DVD player that does the conversion.

Many people think very highly of Malata in this area, although I’m sure that there are other good PAL/NTSC players as well.