What's new

DVD Storage (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure where this question should go but I need some advice on shelves for storing my DVD's of which I have about 1200.

Brad

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What is your question? If you are looking to by a self-standing unit from (e.g.) Best Buy or Walmart, I don't think I can help you.

We own around 800 DVDs, and have a library. In it are about sixteen units, with each unit containing between seven to ten (from top to bottom) shelves. The shelves range from 24" to 48" in width, and from 9" (for books and CDs) to 15" (for LPs, three-ring binders, etc.) in depth. All of the shelves are adjustable (meaning that the shelves from top to bottom can be just about any height), and are made from .5" plywood. We will probably never run out of space.

mahdlokg

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg

Ckeck out BOLTZ.com There may be cheaper units, but I think these are fairly priced for the amount of storage you get. And they look nice too.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I own a few Mission Media Storage cabinets and like them alot. Mission also makes some larger cabinets which would probably work pretty well for you (although with a collection your size, you'll probably need 3-4).

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, guys. The question was vague but I was wondering about shelving. I'll be moving my video stuff into another room soon and will have two walls to place some shelves. They have to be stand-alone (not bolted to the wall) and can go from floor to ceiling which is around ten feet. I think that conversion to slim cases is also in order.

Brad

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
I second the Boltz recommendation; you can expand until you run out of space.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the Boltz are lookin' good and I think an investment in some thin cases is in order. Thanks much.

Brad

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I just wish I had room for the Boltz shelves. They look very nice.

I've got Staples storage boxes filled with DVDs, stacked up in corners and in storage units. I have no room for any of them.

Mary_P

Second Unit
For storage in a limited space, I'm a big fan of spinners:

Media Storage - Cd 1040 Revolving Multi Media - Oak

Lots of capacity for relatively small footprint, it's freestanding, very stable, and turns easily even when packed to the brim. The shelves are adjustable to store a variety of media. I've seen a bigger version of this too, with a 24" x 24" footprint.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry

How much room do you have? The Boltz units don't take up as much room as you might think; mine only project 10" into the room (counting the floor molding) at the feet with the shelves actually closer to the wall.

The pictures don't do them justice; I thought my wife would hate them but we chose the Anthrocite finish which suits out theater room quite nicely.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Mary, love those spinners! A bit pricey, but I'll have to look into something like that.

Right now, I have a cabinet (over) filled with DVDs. And several stacks of storage boxes. I wanted to try to unpack them all into some sort of display case but couldn't find anything that took up as little space.

A few of those spinners might work.

Mary_P

Second Unit
Just remember to leave enough room around them to allow them to turn. Ballpark figure is 1.5x the width of the unit, so for the 18" unit, allow approx 27 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks