DVD Storage Cabinet w/ doors - need source

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I have seen plenty of DVD cabinets with doors that handle up to 200-300 DVD's but need one that will handle 300-500. Also, need it in either Cherry or Mahogany shade finish (NOT oak).

Outside of building one, does anyone know of a source that handles such items?

2. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

You could buy a dresser or clothes cabinet with doors and install shelves inside at DVD spacing pretty easily? Hammer, measure tape, precut lengths of the wood and some nails. Sorta building, but would be quick.

3. BradG

BradG Stunt Coordinator

Steven,

I went through the same search a year ago and I ended up having one custom built (in cherry). I could not find anything with doors (and locks), never mind finding something that looks nice. I ended up paying $1,600 for it, but it can hold 600 DVD's (1,200 if I double them up) and I got what I wanted (and its good quality).

I know this doesn't help, but you may find that having something custom built is the best way to go.

4. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

Have you tried these guys?:

allmultimediastorage.com

I bought a "double tower" from them a year or so back and it was easy to put together and was of acceptable quality.

My tower has no doors but they do have large cabinets with doors.

5. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

Since I trust nobody, I needed something with doors. first I converted an old walk-in closet into my dvd "vault". within the vault I built my own cabnit style shelf system which can hold about 3,000 dvds. I'm not handy with tools, but if following a plan, it can be quick and ez. it took me 3 days and cost about 300 bucks for everything. not only do I have 2 locks on the cabnit itself, but 2 more, one electronic, on the outside of the vault/closet door. I always have my dog "dario" and a shotgun loaded with rocksalt, as long as I'm home.

6. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    StevenA

I can find all kinds of "towers" and "bookcase" style storage units in cherry but nothing that will hold that many DVD's with doors (in that color). I am not into modernistic designs (many antiques) so need a unit that will blend in.

Thanks anyway!

7. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have a Sauder model that I bought at Lowes which holds around 250 DVDs... here is a pic:

Open:
    [​IMG]

Closed:
    [​IMG]
    (you may have to copy and paste the url)

it was $99 and came unassembled. This is an older photo (this baby is full now, so I have moved all my boxsets out to make more room).

8. Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C* Second Unit

I've been wanting a Prepac cabinet. This one holds 560 DVD's but only comes in Oak or Black.
    [​IMG]

Looks like stacking 2 of the Sauders is your best bet.

9. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

10. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    79" x 32" Ikea Billy book cases have optional full length doors. Total price around $180.

11. MichaelO

MichaelO Stunt Coordinator

Rob, nice cabinets, I have two of them myself and I really like them. You are right, there is no way one could support another one stacked on top. Also, I really like the fact that they lock. The one thing that I have noticed with mine is that when the doors are loaded down, the weight of the discs seems to spread the doors apart toward the bottom of the cabinet over time. Have you noticed this? Aside from that I have no complaints and I am about ready to need a third one.

12. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Jeff, or anyone, where are those pre-pacs available? Cost?

(Hipporacks.com is having a sale on media shelves now, FYI)

Thanks, Dan

13. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

I prefer the one they have that has the sliding doors. Very nice cabinet, and it holds about 300 dvds. Well worth the price, although I happened to get it when it was on sale.

[​IMG]

14. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

Paul mentioned Ikea above. They do have lots of modular shelving options, I've had luck thier finding storage solutions for my DVDs.

15. Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C* Second Unit

16. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

Thanks, Jeff.

17. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

Steve, I guess you already know that the main problem is you color chose. There are several units available with locking doors that hold 400+ DVDs, but they all seem to be in oak.
    MediaKeepers Grande cabinet
    StoreyourMedia's better looking cabinet
    John, I too have that unit you posted an image to. It may be more modern looking then what Steve is asking for. Excellent unit, but I guestmate it will only hold 280 DVDs.

18. Mark Lemmond

Mark Lemmond Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't find anything I liked so I designed my own and will start building it this weekend or next. It will hold between 500-550 dvds. I'll post pictures when I get it finished.

19. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I love mine (purchased at OfficeMax or was it OfficeDepot???) for $99.99 each:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]