What's new

DVD staying put! (1 Viewer)

Lee_eel

Second Unit
With all of this talk about HD DVD and Blue Ray technology its about time someone realised that its too soon to introduce this technology. I am perfectly happy with DVD and i think it would be a mistake to introduce the new format at the moment when dvd is in its prime. I am sorry if some forum members are not impressed with DVD any more but i certainly am. Okay edge enhancement is a pain and a few disc still suffer from one or two digital artefacts, but i a believe that discs are looking better and better by the month and certainly still have a WOW factor, at least on my Sony 32 Inch Widescreen!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well, Lee, you have little to be concerned about as here in the UK the government does not want HDTV. No intention of HDTV broadcasts leaves us stuck without a single television set that can even take HD signals in this country, which will in turn keep HD DVD and D VHS further at bay from these shores.

Those of us in HD-less countries who have actually seen Hi Def presentations with their own eyes, be it DVHS or overseas having watched some HDTV broadcasts, push for the exact opposite and want it real soon!

You only need to see a good HD demo to be hooked. It's quite wonderful, and for a few of us in countries like England who have seen it but can not officialy have it thanks to the stupid descisions we stay with PAL DVB, we'd be willing to go out of our way in importing pre recorded HD playback formats and running 1080i/p the only way we Brits can, via a very good 8" crt projector or a 9" (or second to that, a decent digital projector that would do 720p)...

HD DVD needs to start sooner rather than later. Like DVD, it will start of as a niche product where a few of us will be buying into it as early adopters because we appreciate the significant step up in quality just as those of us who went from laserdisc to DVD felt many years ago. For a while, for a good while in fact, both formats will co exist. In starting as a niche format however, interest will grow, and thats what is needed with HD. Interest needs to grow, DVHS is helping create interest, and a future HD DVD format more so. One day the world needs to abolish PAL/NTSC in favour of a global HD standard... typically, England will be left in the slow lane as usual.

Dan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Currently, I am not HD ready in my setup so while I would hate to take advantage of HD-DVD, I can't really say I don't want it to come. I also don't think that DVD will disappear any time soon, even if HD-DVD were to arrive today and that market took off. It may probably stick much the same as VHS has stuck for so many years while consumers' electronics play catch up.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I for one am very impressed and very happy with the current DVD quality, but...
i think it would be a mistake to introduce the new format at the moment when dvd is in its prime.
I disagree, it's never too soon to introduce an HD-DVD format.
Peace Out~:D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Maybe its just me, but I am considering no longer buying DVDs on the theory that I’ll just replace everything that I like when it becomes available in HD DVD (or whatever its called).

In that sense, I can’t wait.

Still, I’m really happy with DVD picture quality and am not so enamored with HD to actually purchase the HD tuner necessary to upgrade my set to full HD status. Right now the OTA plus satellite requirement in my area has caused me to put this in the too-hard bucket.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If HD-DVD came out tomorrow, I would be drooling even more for that nice replacement HD DLP projector. :)

Craig W

Second Unit
If you thought it was a long road for DVD before it made it to market just wait until you see the fights over near film like HD DVD.

Does anyone think the studios are going to let Hi Def masters with extremely high bit rates get to the public without charging an extreme premium? I highly doubt. What would ever be the point of going to your local megaplex if you could surpass the quality all the way around in your home?

I want a real HD DVD format like most everyone else here, but I think this is where consumers will see the next major format war since there is a lot of money to be made in this business. Remember when DVD started not many studios thought the format would make it much beyond a niche format like LD.

The studios may be meeting on this technology, but in reality they never want the consumers to get their hands on this format. High Quality presentation + Almost non-degrading format = No reason to buy a title again. Studios are not going to go for this.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone think the studios are going to let Hi Def masters with extremely high bit rates get to the public without charging an extreme premium? I highly doubt.
They already have. It's called D-VHS and it features quality that surpasses the minimum definition of HD quality.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
What would ever be the point of going to your local megaplex if you could surpass the quality all the way around in your home?
I don't think studios or theater chains need worry about this all that much. Those who like going to theaters, continue to go, despite of the quality their personal HTs provide. Those who are NOT into the theatrical experience (like me) go rarely, or not at all, and have behaved that way even since before DVD/D-VHS.

Even if someone developed a storage medium capable of delivering the equivalent of 70mm film, people would continue going to theaters. For some movie fans, going to a theater and taking in a film with an audience is a big part of the experience. For others, we're willing to forego that and would rather watch at home. Those two tendencies will remain largely unaffected in the future, regardless of how HD we get.

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
Unless new movies were being released at the same time on both fronts than it would never be a problem. Plus, the majority of people, including me, will never have home theatre systems that rival movie theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks