DVD - Star Trek VI Re-Issue?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_Scotts, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_Scotts

Jeffrey_Scotts Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if anyone knows rather or not we will be seeing a Star Trek VI re-issue? Especially since II and III are done, VI is needed the worst of all of them. It was one of their first and is just filled with problems, not to mention is widescreen only (not 16:9 anamorphic). So far I've found nothing that mentions this, but just thought I'd check if anyone knows if it may be coming.

Jeffrey

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I don't know for sure, but from how the discussion has been going, the whole Star Trek series is getting the SE re-release treatment.

3. Mark Schmitt

Mark Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

Just going on memory here, but I thought I had heard that all of the Star Trek movies were going to be revisited with SEs, released in order. That does seem to be the pattern so far.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

They are--and the Treks V through VII will be remastered and 16:9-encoded.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Just FYI, Robert Meyer Burnett (director of Free Enterprise) will be producing Trek 5 and up's SE DVDs

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And to be a complete broken record - it would be nice if it were the theatrical cut. [​IMG]

7. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jeffery,
    Since Both "Star Trek The Motion Picture" and "Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan" were 2 Disc Director's Cut Special Editions. I think that it is reasonable to expect that all of the remaining films will likely follow the same Format. This would not mean Theatrical Cuts as someone else in this thread has asked about or that the work will be done by the person or persons responsible for "Free Enterprise". The Theatrical cuts of the films are available in their current releases. As a long time Trek Fan I'll be keeping both just for the sheer collectability.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

9. Jeff Kleist

[​IMG]
    Keep Rene, kill Scooby

10. Beast

Beast Second Unit

All I'm hoping, is that they fix that trainwreck of a film that was titled "Star Trek V". They need to do a "Motion Picture" job on it and try to fix that piece of crap. Get ILM in to redo all the shoddy un-special effects and tighten up the film with some cuts. It will never be the best Star Trek film ever made, but maybe they can atleast make it watchable. [​IMG]

11. Jeff Kleist

I did suggest to Mr. Burnett that the fan-made MST3K of it would be a welcome addition [​IMG] Something tells me Shatner and/or Paramount wouldn't go for it

12. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I would like to know what the framing of ST:VI will be (just watched it). It looks like it is about 2:1. Is this the way Nicholas Meyer intended? If so, fine, but I hope there is some clarification.

13. Jeffrey_Scotts

14. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

15. Jeffrey_Scotts

Joseph Bolus:
    Not to pick bones here, but please carefully read my post. You will notice I said "one of" and not the first. [​IMG]

16. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Jeffrey:
    The point I was trying to make was that Paramounts' first wave of DVDs' (in the Fall of '98) were all better than the DVDs' they issued between January of '99 and mid-August of '99; all of which were non-anamorphic OAR and "bare bones".
    This was true of not just the Star Trek movies, but all the DVD's they were producing during that period. It's largely the reason that the only release of Titanic that we have today on DVD is in non-anamorphic widescreen.
    Starting with September of '99, all of Paramount's releases were consistently anamorphic widescreen (and with DD 5.1 audio.)
    It just seems odd that the earliest Paramount DVD's were of better quality than subsequent releases for a period of about 8-10 months.
    When I purchased Star Trek:First Contact in November of '98 (which "hooked" me into the DVD format), I was under the impression that all subsequent releases would also be,at the very least, presented in anamorphic widescreen; and it was extremely disappointing to discover that this was not going to be the case.
    Since this is a sore spot with me, I just wanted to make it clear that Paramount had a proper anamorphic widescreen version of Star Trek:First Contact on the street about 8 months before the non-anamorphic, non-OAR, Star Trek VI was issued.
    Anyway, it will certainly be a relief for all of us when Paramount finally issues that long overdue CE of Star Trek VI [​IMG].

17. Tim_Prasuhn

Tim_Prasuhn Stunt Coordinator

actually, I think Star Trek V would improve by being legnthened. Think of it this way, a well-edited-thought out-presented long movie will fly by, while a poorly made short film can feel like hours. Shatner's original cut of the film, even after the terrible effects came in, was 125 minutes. I think restoring it to that legnth and redoing the effects (naturally), would be the best way to go. I genuinelly like The Final Frontier, not really for what it is, but for what it could be....

18. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

19. Rich Stone

Rich Stone Stunt Coordinator

A litle off topic but anyone else have pixelation trouble on "Generations"? I've had three copies on my Proscan PS8680Z that have minor pixelation problems. The opening credits seem to be particularly problematic.

Just wondering if it's my player or if this disc is known to present problems???

Thanks,
    Rich

20. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Is the "Undercover Country" referred to in the previous replies a "Mad" Magazine rendion of "Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country"? I assume that's what's being referred to here?? [​IMG]