DVD Speakers to Computer?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by KrisKruk, Nov 21, 2004.

1. KrisKruk

KrisKruk Auditioning

Hello all

I was wondering if you guys could give me some help. A while back, I recieved the speakers and subwoofer from a Sony home theather system (DVD player + speaker + woofer)that my brother owned. The DVD player died, so he decided to give the speakers to me.

My question is, can I use these speakers for my computer? My Playstation 2? If so, what hardware do I need to buy to make it work. The spakers all connected to the DVD player directly, so there is not a single point that I can connect to my computer.

Any help you guys could give me would be great.

Thank you in advance.

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You need an amp ($).

Best to probably ditch the speakers as they won't be of great quality anyways. ALthough, you could buy a cheap receiver that's a few years old and run them off that.

3. KrisKruk

KrisKruk Auditioning

Hey, I am totally clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Would the reciever ensure good quality sound?

As well, seeing as how I also live near Toronto, could you tell me where I could buy a relatively cheap reciever, and also what relatively cheap means.[​IMG]

Thanks

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

um, if that stuff is from a htib, then you may not need an amp. you just need the correct adapter(s) to plug it into your computer's sound card.

5. KrisKruk

KrisKruk Auditioning

no, this definitely needs more the an adapter

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I doubt the speakers are powered Scott.

www.ebay.ca

7. KrisKruk

KrisKruk Auditioning

So Drew, any idea where I can get what I need and how much it will cost?

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Kris,
    No guarantees. The speakers dictate sound quality more than anything else, and typically HTIB speakers are at the bottom end.

However, I would expect that even HTIB speakers will sound better than many computer speakers, so you might well come out ahead.

The only problem, as mentioned is that amplifier (or receiver) you’ll need. It’s a hi-fi component, so it’s not going to be compact. You might not want to deal with some hulking box sitting on your computer table.

If that’s the case, you might look into something like this miniature stereo amplifier from Radio Shack. It might fit your needs better. You can also find a few for sale on eBay right now for much less – on the home page, do a search on “mini amplifier” and you’ll find them listed.

Keep in mind, however, you will only be getting stereo sound from this. Don’t think that just because you have some home theater speakers that you’ll be getting surround sound. Plus, it might be a problem getting the sub to work right.

Another alternative: Does your brother still have the Sony DVD unit? If so, you could probably still use it. Even though the DVD player died, the built-in amplifiers most likely still work. Most HTIB’s have at least one auxiliary input for an external signal – that’s all you need.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. KrisKruk

KrisKruk Auditioning

WOW

Thanks for all those details Wayne, that was what I was looking for.

Pretty sure the DVD unit is gone by now [​IMG] But that's ok.....I'll look into what you suggested.

Thanks again.