Dvd Soon?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam_WM, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Is DVD SOON a retailer worth buying from? I've read on DVD PRICE SEARCH's reviews that they only get 2 stars, but some sites I have ordered from and been happy with haven't received 4 stars. DVDSOON always seems to have great prices. Anyone? Feedback?

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

You get the Canadian versions of discs. MGM, Fox and Columbia releases are identical, but most others aren't. Usually the difference is just packaging.

3. Bob Pierce

Bob Pierce Stunt Coordinator

I've bought as many DVDs from DVDSoon as I have from anywhere else, mainly because of the price. This has outweighed the often-observed fact that they charge your credit card at the time you order, not when discs ship (and I'm not even going to open that can of worms again here!).

Lately, however, I've been getting more and more dissatisfied with their ability to obtain discs they list for sale on their site. On a few orders, it's turned into a kind of enless limbo. After waiting two months or more past the original estimated availability date of some of the discs, I've cancelled them in frustration and bought them for slightly more money somewhere else.

DVDSoon has a challenge ahead: Amazon.ca is undercutting them on price, with better service and more leverage with distributors in obtaining ordered titles. Large B&M retailers are coming close to or beating them with loss leaders on the day of release. In order to keep their revenues up, DVDSoon is going to have to improve availability of discs and responsiveness, keep prices down, and improve their site usability (simple thing: ask the visitor's preference, Canadian or US dollars, up front and then display all prices in that currency from then on). I wish them well, but it's not going to be easy.

I'm sure if you search the forums here and over on DVDTalk, you'll find lots of other comments on DVDSoon. Good luck!

$0.02,

- Bob

4. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Lately I caught them jack up a price on a pre-order too even though it was still a ways away from release (Star Trek IV CE).
    I still ended up ordering it there though so I could use the store credit I had for a returned defective item (that I'm still waiting for a replacement for. That was before Christmas).
    The new ST IV price was still pretty good, but not like it had been a couple days before which was really low.
    Always go with Air Mail since the free shipping could be a month or more and isn't insured.
    If it is still like it was, there's no advantage price-wise to lumping your titles together in one order either. I believe you pay the same amount per title regardless.
    So always go separate. I forgot to on a recent order, and then got stuck.
    They seem to try to save shipping by waiting for everything to be "on hand" even though they don't pass the savings to you. By the time the other title or titles you're waiting for is listed as "on hand" your others are on order again. They apparetnly don't hold them for you or lie about having them to begin with. This can go on for weeks.
    Sometimes the prices are too good to pass up, but you have to be on your toes too get your discs in a reasonable amount of time.

5. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I've used them, just because of the price.

I've used their standard shipping and it does take almost 2 weeks past a release date to get the product. Mostly due to customs.

Otherwise if you don't mind some French language on the box, its no big deal.

Paul