What's new

DVD Sleeves (1 Viewer)

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I did a search on the forum and didn't see this posted anywhere, and I wasn't sure what section to post it in, so apologies in advance for both if they are faux pas.

I am seriously considering getting those little plastic baggies they have that fit a disc and its DVD insert, to use for the majority of my collection.

Just the individual DVD releases, mind you, not the boxed sets, etc.

I figure I could get rid of 1,000 DVD cases, easily, and the room saved would be enormous.

Anyone know of a good site to get these?

I'm in Canada, btw, so a Canadian-friendly site would be most preferred.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: PMF

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, John, I just checked their site and though they have a tab for DVD sleeves, there are no selections to choose from when I click on it.

Do I need to register at this site before viewing their wares?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Their site doesn’t seem to be working right. Try it tomorrow.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, I haven't bought anything from them in quite a while, but it looks like they're basically toast. I get the impression they're essentially out of business. I can't think of anywhere else to get some of the stuff, except of course, the evil A.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am seriously considering getting those little plastic baggies they have that fit a disc and its DVD insert, to use for the majority of my collection.

Just the individual DVD releases, mind you, not the boxed sets, etc.

I figure I could get rid of 1,000 DVD cases, easily, and the room saved would be enormous.

Hey, Steve! I'd love to see exactly what type of "baggie" you're talking about...if you find them anywhere.

And if you go for it, What would you use to house the baggies? Boxes? Binders?

I always like seeing/hearing about new ways to store collections.

And I've purchased in the past from Sleeve City. Everything went well.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Go with www.sleevecityusa.com as they have a ton of DVD sleeves of many varieties at decent prices.

Thanks, RMW, I just checked and they don't carry what I am looking for.

And I said "baggie" in my OP as I was having a brain cramp and couldn't remember the word "sleeve".

I am looking for those clear, plastic sleeves, like the ones you see in variety stores that sell bootleg DVDs.

They are big enough to hold a disc and the DVD insert from the case.

Anyone know where to get those?

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, John, I appreciate these links, just checked and unfortunately Uline only carries the square white paper envelopes for discs.

I honestly thought these would be easy to find online, but I'm not having any luck.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
One thing to beware of with plastic or plastic-lined disc sleeves is the type of plastic used - unfortunately not always easy to determine.

Several years ago I used two or three different brands of regular disc-only sleeves with plastic windows on one side for my Beta>DVD-r project. Recently I was horrified to find that with one of those batches (unable to determine which brand now) the plastic had begun to deteriorate, warp and adhere to the surface of the discs. This not only left a residue on the surface but also ate into the disc surface; if it had been the playing side against the plastic, there were playback problems. I found I could wash off the residue, which improved playability, but often the surface damage was enough to cause playback glitches or render sections unplayable.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Wow, thanks for the heads up. Do you know what type of plastic is preferred?

Avoid at all costs vinyl or polyvinyl chloride (PVC); this is the stuff regular 3-hole punch “document protectors” are made from.

The following are considered archival:
Polyethylene (PE); Polyester (Mylar); Polypropylene (PP)

How do you tell if the product doesn't specify? One way is to open the packaging and smell the contents; if you get a chemical or hydrocarbon aroma, it's the kind you don't want. Unfortunately, some newer formulations of PVC and vinyl are odor-reduced.

You'd be safest with polyester, like Mylar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks