DVD sleeves for three ring binders?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Williams, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Does anyone know if there is such a thing? Ideally there would also be a place to keep the DVD cover also. I just do not have anyplace to store DVDs in their cases.

2. TedE

TedE Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about DVD booklets/covers, but you can get CD sleeves that are designed for ring binders. Usually each sheet has space for 8 CDs (4 per side) but I also have a few that have 4 CD slots on one side and 4 slots for CD booklets on the other. Of course, this doesn't help for DVD-sized booklets [​IMG]

Check any major office supply outfit. I remember getting a pack of 20 or so CD sleeves (80 slots) for around $12 on sale at Office Depot.

3. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

storing the covers would not be very practical, you could only get 1 dvd per page if you did that

4. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

I use the case logic binder that holds 8 DVD's per page (4 on each side). The binder holds 250 DVD's. I just store the box's in my garage. For me, DVD's aren't like CD's where I have to look at the cover to find what tracks each song is on. I think I only have 2-3 DVD's that don't have cover art right on the DVD itself. I know a lot of people like to display their boxes. For me I found it was very cool to have a have a guest/or myself flip through a binder of movies while sitting on the couch, rather than walking up to a bookcase.
    The only problem with these binders is that you need to leave some space sporadically in the binder so that when you buy new discs, you don't have to shift the entire collection to make room. Even then, you have to shift sections as you add to your collection. What I do now is alphabatize my movies, and leave a few pages up front for my new purchases. I then move them into the main section every few months or so.
    Greg

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I use the UniKeep binders, which are sealed on all sides, made of plastic like an oversided DVD case:
    UniKeep 1" clear binder

Inside I use regular old page protector sleeves (such as those made by Avery) to save the cover art.

I've found that it fits 24 DVDs per inch case (that's 12 page protectors with 24 cover arts, and 3 of the disc pages which hold 8x3=24 discs).

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I use slimline jewel cases (1/2 the width of a standard jewel case) for all my DVDs and have never been happier.

7. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

After reading some of the suggestions here I heard about a product called DiskSox. The only problem is that they are expensive ($22 for 25 plus $4 for twelve conversion sleeves so they will fit in a three ring binder.

8. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Jim, beware - DiscSox are made of polyvinylchloride (think "shower curtain smell").

For archival use you'd want a product made of harmless, odorless polypropylene.

Do a google search on these two materials and make your own decision.

9. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

10. marcellom

marcellom Auditioning

I just wanted to make one clarification about the DiscSox Sleeves:

It is correct that DiscSox are made from PVC; however, the discs are are never exposed to PVC directly because the pockets where the discs are inserted are lined with a non-woven protective fabric on all sides. So the vinyl never touches any discs and will not degrade polycarbonate (the material the discs are made of).
    Graphics however, are stored in a clear vinyl pouch. I have been storing CD graphics in vinyl sleeves for over 20 years and have not been able to detect any degradation.
    You can get more info on the DVD Pro at the DiscSox website.

Cheers,
    Marcello