What's new

DVD skipping tracks on low loud notes! (1 Viewer)

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
My wonderful twin SVS 16-46 + cause my Pioneer DV-434 to skip tracks. This happens on the higher (outer tracks) when playing bass heavy music on the loud side. Cannot move the player farther away from the subs. Vibration is coming form the Big Screen RP the DVD player is sitting on. The subs shake the RP and the RP shakes the player. Adding weight to the top of the player helps some, but not enough.
I am thinking in terms of isolation feet/platforms. Even willing to go to a different DVD player, even though I am very happy with this one in every respect except this problem.
Please no advice like: Play less loudly, reduce the sub's levels. I am happy the way my system sounds, I am happy with the layout, just need to solve this acoustical coupling problem.
Welcome any suggestions, specially if you had this problem.:frowning:

MarkO

Second Unit
Try those self stick gell feet. Anything that would help decouple the DvD player from the RP might help.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"Try those self stick gell feet. Anything that would help decouple the DvD player from the RP might help."

Might give that a try Marco, thanks. Do you have a source for them or a place or brand you can recommend?

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Why don't you try sitting the DVD player on some pieces of bubblewrap as a temporary fix?

I'm doing this for my CD player (big bubble type). Oh for my love of Massive Attack!!

You might also try wrapping balloons filled (loosely!) with water in shopping bags and placing the DVD player CAREFULLY on top of them.

The wrapping is to ensure that even if they do explode, the water won't flow out. Use plenty of clear carton-wrapping tape for sealing.

These should get you by until you buy an isolation platform etc.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I have a vague memory of being in one of those mall shops -- like Discovery Channel stores or Educational TV stores (sorry, the old man's mind is going) -- that have science-oriented toys and seeing some little pillow-like toys filled with gel that were very "squeezy" and not too expensive.

Something like that might be a little less 'dangerous' than the water-filled balloons.

Until this thread, I never thought of using those things for this purpose. I'm definitely going to check this out next time I'm in a mall.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
The Happy Fun Ball is supposed to be pretty good for that purpose - those balls that bounce really high (aka Crazy Balls in some places).
Just cut off the top to make it flat and either make it stick or place the player on three of them.
I didn't want to try the water balloons exactly because of that! :D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hehe, not exactly like this, but i just took a couple paper towel roll and put it under the feet of my turntable to dampen vibrations... Great bang for the buck :p)

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Mike Larson says:"Why don't you try sitting the DVD player on some pieces of bubblewrap as a temporary fix?"

That sounds like a dynamite idea. I'll give it a try and will report back. Thanks! Not too sure about water balloons over the RP!

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Mike Larson asks:

"Don't you notice any bad picture with so much vibration?"

Mike, this is an excellent question. The answer is, amazingly enough, NO. I am perplexed that the RP does not exhibit microphonics from the CRT's or other anomalies from shaking that is bad enough to mistrack the DVD player that sit on top of it. Kudos to Toshiba's RP's, I guess!!

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Glauco BRuZZi says:

"I use AudioQuest's sorbogel little feet."

Are you isolating a CD or DVD player with this problem?

Did this solve it completely?

Thanks for the tip.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
MARK Larson asks:
"So have you had any luck with the bubblewrap John?
YES!!!!! Found some laying around. Tried it and it works like a champ!!!!!
Will try isolation feet next for aesthetic reasons.
Thanks a bunch!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jonathan_M

Stunt Coordinator
Just a note to anyone using some of the sorbothane or other gel products. If you use them on a wood surface, use something to protect the surface from the oily substances in the sorbothane!
I had used a set of the AudioQuest sorbothane pads underneath a turntable of mine for quite some time and when I moved them, they had stained the wood. :frowning:
Don't get me wrong, they work GREAT for what they're intended! Just put on some protection. :D
-Jonathan

BruZZi

Second Unit
John,
I use a Sony DVP-NS700p for both CD/DVD. I had my equipment in an old audio rack that used to shake "like crazy" with some strong bass material, specially music. Amazinly the sorbagel completly solved the problem.
Right now I have Bello AVSC-2112M Rack(Photo below) with a Denon 4800 , the Sony and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer on the top shelf. With more than 55 Lbs on it , the shelf is very stable with no more skipping. But since I have the little feet, I use it anyway. :)
http://store3.yimg.com/I/jandr_1683_62160338

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks