DVD Shootout #2 Up At Secrets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Head, Aug 20, 2001.

1. David Head

David Head Second Unit

The DVD Benchmark - Progressive DVD Player Shootout # 2 is up at Secrets of Home Theater And Hi-Fi.
    The Panasonic RP91 didn't perform as well as I'd expected and the Denon 2800 did better than I thought it would. I might have to reconsider my options.
    David

2. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

I would think the RP91 did exactly as expected, with good quality image and no chroma bug, but with mediocre de-interlacing (because of the Genesis chip).
    By the way how may TVs incorporate 3:2 pulldown? I suspect my Toshiba CW34XC2 has only a line doubler for interlaced sources, since aliasing increases significantly when in interlaced mode. Conversely, using the RP91 with it in progressive mode, those nasty combs will appear. No combing whatsoever in interlaced mode (obviously).
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

3. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

The Sony 700P, which has been getting panned pretty badly around here, (which I own and like alot, and yes I do see the chroma bug)did extremely well....with de-interlacing second only to the Sage and SI chipsets. It was confirmed that it uses a Sony de-interlacing solution. Pretty cool.
    Randy

4. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

I currently have a Toshiba 6200 hooked up to a Toshiba 56H80...given the ShootoutII results, from a pure video performance perspective, should I not bother spending ~ $200 to upgrade to a Panasonic RP91, HK DVD50, or Denon DVD2800?
    Is the more sensible upgrade waiting the next gen of players under $800?

5. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

they are probably the only one who find WinDVD better than ATI's DVD player [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

6. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

7. Eben H.

Eben H. Auditioning

I plan to hit the after-Christmas sales this year and upgrade from my Pioneer DV-333. I currently have a 4:3 standard 50" rptv that I plan to keep until it breaks (it's barely 4 years old). I do expect to get an HDTV eventually. Is it worth my while to get a progressive player in anticipation of my future HDTV acquisition? Should I get a better "standard" DVD player now (and get a ps player when I do get HDTV)? If I get a ps player, which one would be best considering that for awhile it will be used on a SDTV? Or, which standard player would you recommend instead (that would be an improvement over my current player).
    TIA,
    Eben

8. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

9. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Eben, try posting that question in its own thread. Burying it in a 'Shootout II' thread may not give you the exposure you could get otherwise. Just a suggestion.

10. Mike A

Mike A Agent

James,
    I think what your looking for are the detailed individual reviews that include video and audio response tests. I asked about this at AVS and Stacey's reply was it is coming, didn't say when though [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Mitsubishi 55807
    Toshiba 5109
    Yamaha RX-V496
    DVD Collection

11. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Mike,
    Yeah, I heard that was coming on 'the another' forum. Maybe that will be the payoff I'm looking for. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by James D S on August 20, 2001 at 06:43 PM]

12. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

13. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Stunt Coordinator

14. Don Munsil

Don Munsil Stunt Coordinator

By the way, thanks to everyone for the nice comments. If there is anything that is unclear or you'd like more info, please let me know and I'll try to clarify and/or update the article.
    Best regards,
    Don

15. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Any doubts I had about my Denon 2800 from forum reading have been alleviated with these results.
    Definitely an incredible machine. Sometimes after reading so many "slams" on a particular unit, we begin to doubt it's true performance. It pays to be patient, I suppose.
    Jeremy

16. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

Don, perhaps it was these lines that prompted the ATI vs WinDVD comment.

17. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

James D S

18. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Given all that has been said about WinDVD 2.x being better video wise than 3.0, I have to wonder why they didn't test the latest 2.x version instead. Also, everyone at AVS (and from my own tests, I'd have to agree) feels that the ATI player gives the best results with the radeon. I'd like to know what tests were use to draw the conclusion windvd 3.0 was better
    ------------------
    My DVD collection

19. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

quote: but without the ATI player and it's necessary setup hacks (0 IRE settings, Adaptive Deinterlacing combinations via DVD Genie) HTPC was sold a tad bit short just IMHO.[/quote]
    The HTPC was setup by a third party where they did all the tweaks. We were treating it as a product.
    The ATI player is made by Ravisent. The deinterlacing from the ATI is also flagged based. It would pass/fail the same tests.
    [Edited last by StaceyS on August 20, 2001 at 08:10 PM]

20. James D S

James D S Screenwriter