What's new

DVD Setup help (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
How do I know when to adjust the settings on my DVD player and when to adjust them on the TV. I've calibrated my TV using Avia and it looks great but there are many settings (brightness, hue, etc...) in the DVD player. How does one know when to change those?

Scott

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
For the basic settings (ie. color, tint/hue, contrast/picture, brightness and sharpness), you can do it either on the TV or the player, whichever you prefer although chances are that your TV allows greater flexibility/range whereas your player's settings may be intended primarily for fine tuning. So in general, it's probably best to calibrate your TV w/ the default settings on your player and then use your player's settings for fine tuning.

If your TV can only store one set of settings for all sources, you might need to strike some sort of balance here so the TV settings work well for every source while the player's fine tuned settings compensate for optimal DVD playback.

There may be other additional settings on the player like Gamma, MPEG filters, etc. that you might want to use.

Also, your player might allow you to do such fine tuning and store them for individual DVDs since different DVDs might have different optimal settings for whatever reasons--this is where those THX Optimode patterns on specific DVDs might come into play. FWIW, my Panny RP91 has this nice capability to remember all the User mode settings for upto 200 DVDs, which is very nice indeed. And in my case, I find it especially useful for remembering the aspect ratio control setting needed for improperly flagged non-16x9 DVDs. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks