What's new

DVD Sets depreciating in value (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They aren't like baseball cards, collectable card games or comic books, that are true investment areas ... and it amazes me how consumers are still confused and shocked by this.
Actually... they are.

I have thousands of comics. Only a handful are worth $100+ with the rest firmly in the $.25-$.50 range. That includes dozens of Superman and Batman titles from the early 60s, most of which are worth their original cover price which means I lost money due to inflation. The only ones I'd purchased back then that are worth anything are the first few Gold Key Star Trek comics. Like my DVD/BR collection I do not purchase with an eye towards them being an "investment." I simply purchase what I like to read.

If you don't believe that then you need to talk to those misguided people in the 90s who got into comics as an "investment." Most lost their shirt buying alternate covers, "limited" edition titles, and the flavor of the month superhero books. Hardly a week goes by at the LCS where someone brings in a long box (holds ~300) of comics expecting to get rich only to discover it's worth less than $100 - if they drive 70 miles to a city where there's a store that will buy them.

I have a few thousand "Magic The Gathering" cards from the early days of the game. Most are worth a few cents with a few going as high as a few $$ (maybe more - I've never bothered to check). I purchased them to play and not as an investment.

I had baseball cards as a kid. I purchased those to put in the spokes of my bike to make it sound "cool." I chewed the gum (horrible stuff in those packages).

I have some WWII foreign coins a great uncle gave me decades ago. The last time I bothered to check they were worth face value.

I have a few Canadian dimes. They're worth ~$.075 each.

Anything "collectible" is only worth what someone else is willing to pay. What it is doesn't matter. Just watch a few episodes of "Pawn Stars" or "American Pickers" for proof.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Actually... they are.

I have thousands of comics. Only a handful are worth $100+ with the rest firmly in the $.25-$.50 range. That includes dozens of Superman and Batman titles from the early 60s, most of which are worth their original cover price which means I lost money due to inflation. The only ones I'd purchased back then that are worth anything are the first few Gold Key Star Trek comics. Like my DVD/BR collection I do not purchase with an eye towards them being an "investment." I simply purchase what I like to read.

If you don't believe that then you need to talk to those misguided people in the 90s who got into comics as an "investment." Most lost their shirt buying alternate covers, "limited" edition titles, and the flavor of the month superhero books. Hardly a week goes by at the LCS where someone brings in a long box (holds ~300) of comics expecting to get rich only to discover it's worth less than $100 - if they drive 70 miles to a city where there's a store that will buy them.

I strongly suspect the comic book "direct market" completely destroyed the market.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I strongly suspect the comic book "direct market" completely destroyed the market.

Actually, the direct market saved comics first. Then it destroyed them.

By the 80s, newsstands no longer really wanted to carry low profit items like comics. And the companies were eating it on returns. The direct market, though, allowed them to virtually print on demand. No huge overstocks, no huge overrun, just print for the orders, maybe a few more for reorders, and that's it.

However, it was the speculators of the 90s that was the beginning of destroying the market. "WE'RE ALL GONNA GET RICH ON YOUNGBLOOD #1!!!" Holofoil, variant covers, die cut covers, style over substance, new #1s every few months... and the industry learned nothing, because that's all still happening to an even larger degree. Oh, and the retreat into the direct market turned it into the direct market ghetto that they can't escape from, and they have no new readers coming in because prices are too high and books aren't available in 7-11s and grocery stores anymore so kids can't get 'em.

Yeah, comics destroyed themselves.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Actually, the direct market saved comics first. Then it destroyed them.

By the 80s, newsstands no longer really wanted to carry low profit items like comics. And the companies were eating it on returns. The direct market, though, allowed them to virtually print on demand. No huge overstocks, no huge overrun, just print for the orders, maybe a few more for reorders, and that's it.

However, it was the speculators of the 90s that was the beginning of destroying the market. "WE'RE ALL GONNA GET RICH ON YOUNGBLOOD #1!!!" Holofoil, variant covers, die cut covers, style over substance, new #1s every few months... and the industry learned nothing, because that's all still happening to an even larger degree. Oh, and the retreat into the direct market turned it into the direct market ghetto that they can't escape from, and they have no new readers coming in because prices are too high and books aren't available in 7-11s and grocery stores anymore so kids can't get 'em.

Yeah, comics destroyed themselves.

I remember some comic book speculators back in the 1980s.

I remember back in the 80s when the late-70s era issues of The Uncanny X-Men (94 to around 143) were skyrocking in price on the aftermarket, I knew one person who would buy 2 or 3 copies of then-current post-#150 issues of The Uncanny X-Men in the hope that they would also skyrocket in price too in the future.

Fast forward to the present day, these post-#150 issues of The Uncanny X-Men never went up in the price. At best for copies in "pristine mint" condition, they more or less just tracked inflation of the cover prices. Otherwise they were not worth much other than generic dump bin fodder.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I made a small fortune from comic book speculation. There were a lot of key comic book issues I made a large profit on such as 25 copies each of Amazing Spiderman #298-314 (Todd McFarlane), 25 copies of Superman #75 (death issue), 25 copies of Ghost Rider #1 (Danny Ketch series), 25 copies each of New Mutants #84-100. It was pretty easy to tell back then which issues were worth the investment.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Completely agree with DVD sets depreciating in value - I've noticed the same thing. I got my first DVD player back in early 2003 - I wasn't the huge movie aficionado at the time that I am now, but I primarily got it so I could watch The Sopranos on DVD - I didn't want to subscribe to HBO, so I just waited until each season was released to DVD, and binge-watched it that way. IIRC, it was actually cheaper to buy these DVD sets as they came out, than to pay for HBO each month.

I then subsequently got more into getting seasons of TV shows on DVD, as opposed to watching them on TV (I preferred to binge-watch them all at once). Then, I got more into watching movies on DVD - however, while I would typically rent new movies on DVD from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video back in the 200X's, I preferred to buy the TV DVD sets - since I felt you were getting more for your money that way.

And, some of these sets were quite expensive. Each season of The Sopranos on DVD was upwards of $70 - $80 each (unless they were on sale), and that was only for 12-13 episodes per season. Other HBO shows like The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, etc. were roughly the same price. Mainstream TV shows on DVD like Lost, Smallville, etc. were significantly less, i.e. typically $50 per season.

Now, you can get most seasons of TV shows on Blu-ray for less than $50 each, and Blu is a far superior format to DVD. And, one of the biggest travesties (LOL) is that you can get the entire series of The Sopranos on Blu-ray for only a little more than a single season of the show cost back in the day.

That all being said, I don't regret buying TV shows on DVD at all. They were great, and in many cases I'm keeping these - and not upgrading to Blu-ray. It's too expensive to upgrade everything, and most of these shows look OK on my HD TV set.

Plus, many TV shows have never made it to Blu yet - and probably never well.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Not to de-rail this thread too much, but re: a previous post about Marvel comics:

I had stopped collecting Marvel & DC comics completely by the early '90's (I was only into Dark Horse's SW comics & Grendel at that point) & never got any from that era. However, going into comic stores during this time, you couldn't avoid Marvel's multiple foil/cardboard/etc. covers for the re-booted X-men/ Spider-man/etc. comics. The art was cookie-cutter crap, and they expected us to fork over good money to get multiple covers of these issues? Yeah, right. Thankfully, I've heard that most of these comics are all but worthless today. I read on another board that someone couldn't even give them away ;)

I had someone try to sell me Marvel stock during the mid '90's (when they were having financial issues), and I just laughed at him - LOL.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When I purchased my very first DVD player, I needed something to play on it.

My first DVD purchase was the Toy Story (1 & 2) Ultimate Toy Box set.

5158TWMQ08L._SX342_.jpg

I thought I was the luckiest guy around to have that set. I've upgraded both those films, of course, as technology has advanced. But the value of that set hasn't depreciated for me one bit as I still consider it one of the crown jewels of my collection! :D

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
When I purchased my very first DVD player, I needed something to play on it.

My first DVD purchase was the Toy Story (1 & 2) Ultimate Toy Box set.

5158TWMQ08L._SX342_.jpg

I thought I was the luckiest guy around to have that set. I've upgraded both those films, of course, as technology has advanced. But the value of that set hasn't depreciated for me one bit as I still consider it one of the crown jewels of my collection! :D

I think I still have that one in a bucket in the attic somewhere.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Completely agree with DVD sets depreciating in value - I've noticed the same thing. I got my first DVD player back in early 2003 - I wasn't the huge movie aficionado at the time that I am now, but I primarily got it so I could watch The Sopranos on DVD - I didn't want to subscribe to HBO, so I just waited until each season was released to DVD, and binge-watched it that way. IIRC, it was actually cheaper to buy these DVD sets as they came out, than to pay for HBO each month.

I then subsequently got more into getting seasons of TV shows on DVD, as opposed to watching them on TV (I preferred to binge-watch them all at once). Then, I got more into watching movies on DVD - however, while I would typically rent new movies on DVD from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video back in the 200X's, I preferred to buy the TV DVD sets - since I felt you were getting more for your money that way.

And, some of these sets were quite expensive. Each season of The Sopranos on DVD was upwards of $70 - $80 each (unless they were on sale), and that was only for 12-13 episodes per season. Other HBO shows like The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, etc. were roughly the same price. Mainstream TV shows on DVD like Lost, Smallville, etc. were significantly less, i.e. typically $50 per season.

Now, you can get most seasons of TV shows on Blu-ray for less than $50 each, and Blu is a far superior format to DVD. And, one of the biggest travesties (LOL) is that you can get the entire series of The Sopranos on Blu-ray for only a little more than a single season of the show cost back in the day.

That all being said, I don't regret buying TV shows on DVD at all. They were great, and in many cases I'm keeping these - and not upgrading to Blu-ray. It's too expensive to upgrade everything, and most of these shows look OK on my HD TV set.

You've reminded me that I once bought the first season of Sex and the City on VHS in a box set (12 eps.), used, for $5--I forget how many tapes, but Amazon says three. This was sometime in the first decade of the 21st century. I watched the set once, put it in a box in the closet and will probably never watch it again. But if I hadn't picked up that set I probably never would have watched the show and seen what the fuss was about. As for resale, there are copies of the VHS box set of Season 1 on Amazon for sale--at about $5.

I might have watched the first season of The Sopranos if only I'd found a set like that for that price. I've still never seen the show, other than a few minutes of random episodes here and there.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

Welcome, Jim!

You'll find that sentiment echoed in many, many threads here. We all have stories about those expensive sets and series we've purchased several times for one reason or another.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was just browsing Amazon. I purchased the Star Trek animated series in Blu Ray. Last week for 27.98. Looks like the law of supply and demand applies. The price is now $37.98

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Next up is Enterprise. Then TNG. And hopefully DS9 and voyager will come but not counting on them. Thinking about giving my SD treks to my nephew. He’s 10. Likes adventure and space

I'm betting your nephew will enjoy 'em, just like my nephew Eli enjoyed those first-and-second-season I Love Lucy releases that I gave him (he enjoyed those immensely, so much so that over time, I ended up getting him the remainder of the series [mostly from Amazon, though I got that fifth season's worth for him at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville]; he now has the whole series [regular and Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour], and can't get enough of it)!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm betting your nephew will enjoy 'em, just like my nephew Eli enjoyed those first-and-second-season I Love Lucy releases that I gave him (he enjoyed those immensely, so much so that over time, I ended up getting him the remainder of the series [mostly from Amazon, though I got that fifth season's worth for him at the Wal-Mart in Simpsonville]; he now has the whole series [regular and Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour], and can't get enough of it)!

One thing I noticed on the TOS Blu Ray. Is that at the end of each episode, it shows the Desilu logo. That I understand. But after that the CBS logo comes up and says 1978 paramount.

My question is why 1978 copyright? I’m assuming it has to do with the ownership maze that trek has been through over the years?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks