DVD server-the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I saw something about this in Wired the other day. Sounds like a cool idea (server that lets you copy your DVDs to hard drives and stream them directly), but then I noticed that they're trying to charge $40 000 for one of these!

Now, perhaps I'm just crazy, but I'm pretty sure that I could build the same thing for a whole lot less. A PC with a DVI/Component output, DVD Rom, and a few big hard drives can be had for, at a conservative estimate, 2000 (and that's really stretching it). So is their software really worth 38000 per user? Sure, it would take a little bit of skill to set up a machine with a dozen 300 Gb drives (which would also push the price up by maybe 300 bucks a drive), but this is still really overpriced.

Sorry if this has been discussed to death already, but this was the first time I'd seen it.

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I saw something about this in Wired the other day. Sounds like a cool idea (server that lets you copy your DVDs to hard drives and stream them directly), but then I noticed that they're trying to charge $40 000 for one of these!

Now, perhaps I'm just crazy, but I'm pretty sure that I could build the same thing for a whole lot less. A PC with a DVI/Component output, DVD Rom, and a few big hard drives can be had for, at a conservative estimate, 2000 (and that's really stretching it). So is their software really worth 38000 per user? Sure, it would take a little bit of skill to set up a machine with a dozen 300 Gb drives (which would also push the price up by maybe 300 bucks a drive), but this is still really overpriced.

Sorry if this has been discussed to death already, but this was the first time I'd seen it.