DVD Server Recommendation

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dominic-B, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Dominic-B

Dominic-B Auditioning

Hello,
    I am setting up a new home theatre system, and was looking for recommendations of a DVD server. I would like to record my dvd on the storage server and play from there. I have seen some at $10,000 plus, but was wondering if there were some at a lower cost. Thanks for the help.

Dominic B

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I think there are two options, DIY with PC's and ripping software (with obvious legal problems) and the expensive storage servers. They claim that part of the cost is the licensing that allows the copying to a server. At least that is what they thought until they got sued for violating copyrights. I don't know how the legal situation worked out and what operating restrictions came about as a result. Even if they work today there could be problems tomorrow. This is why Microsoft is insisting on "Managed Copy" on the upcoming HD disk formats.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

yeah, as mentioned you can do this really cheap with a PC and networked storage. You can even play it all back on the pc, or use a network playback device like the roku.