dvd sensitivity issue

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Stan Shuffett, Dec 25, 2003.

1. Stan Shuffett

Stan Shuffett Auditioning

Hi everyone, my first post here.

I find it very frustrating that many of the dvds I rent have a defect that yields something negative in its presentation.

Generally there is some evidence of mishandling upon close examination of the dvds I rent. I see smudges and scratches on nearly every dvd I rent.

I have a question. I am experiencing something very different from anything I have encountered before. Over the last two months I have had 4 dvds that would all at once render no voice, but all other sounds seemed to be present. I would forward the disc and the voice would continue. I think this is a disc defect problem. Is what I am describing a dvd problem resulting from mishandling. I have been told that it is not my player. I just find it odd to experience the same problem 3 or 4 times.

Have any of you experienced this type of problem? (no voice with other sounds of the track present)

I appreciate any information you might share about this particular dvd oddity. Also, are there things I can do to increase the chances of a rental dvd to play acceptably?

Thanks,

Stan

2. Alex K.

Alex K. Agent

Could it be that you are watching it on stereo, but the dvd switches to 5.1 sometimes? cause then the center speaker would be missing, and thats where all main dialog appears.

3. Stan Shuffett

Stan Shuffett Auditioning

No Alex, my settings are correct, 5.1. I am thinking that maybe the dvds are layered and maybe that has something to do with the problem. So far, a click of a button has solved the problem. I am just really curious if someone else has experienced the same thing.

Stan

4. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

Sounds like a problem with your amp or center speaker[​IMG]

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    In the 5 years I've had DVDs I've experienced a variety of glitches, some defective discs, some player issues. But I've never had the specific problem you describe.

The fact that it has happened on multiple discs (too many to be coincidence) would strongly suggest to me that the player or some other hardware in your system is at fault.

6. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Ya, doesn't sound like a software issue to me either.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Quote:
    Could it be that you are watching it on stereo, but the dvd switches to 5.1 sometimes? cause then the center speaker would be missing, and thats where all main dialog appears. Even then, Dolby Digital is designed to downconvert. My current HT setup is a two (big ass) speaker system, and I usually listen to the 5.1 track. Occassionally there will be an oddity like dialog too low or something. None of the sounds are ever dropped.

I agree with Arnie, sounds like an issue with your center speaker; I'd check your cables and make sure nothing's loose.