DVD Secrets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Griffith, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Do DVD's hide things of interest in them.

You have the DVD and by pressing a combination of buttons you unlock some speciasl feature?

Is thier a sight that lists these and what they are for each DVD or do people just know about them?

2. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

4. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Eater eggs?

I guess. Neevr herd that term but I guess it suits the situation. Thanks

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Bill, the term "Easter Eggs" has been in use since the Atari 2600 game called "Adventure", which had the very first known Easter Egg in it.
    Here are all the Easter Egg sites I know of:
    DVD Review's section
    DVD Easter Eggs
    EEggs (as mentioned above)
    DVD Angle, mentioned above (I don't know what it takes to get these guys to update with a new egg; two I've submitted are still not published, one from a couple of months ago!)
    And I just discovered an egg section at DVD Shrine.
    Between those, I'm sure your bases are covered. I posted them in order of preference, although it's a close call on the top 3 (REALLY close call!). Welcome to HTF!

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    David ~ What was the egg in Adventure? I used to play that game all the time and still have it, along with a working 2600 in my parents' attic.

7. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

There was a hidden wall or something, and when you went in, you could see the designer's name. He put it there because Atari didn't want the designer's name on the product.

8. Kevin Matthews

Kevin Matthews Stunt Coordinator

As a kid of 14 I found the "easter egg" in Adventure myself but it took quite some time to figure out how to find Warren Robinett's name, here it is...
    In the black castle there is an area you can't get into without the bridge, once in there you feel around the walls of this "little box" of an area and you will find a "dot", take the dot and go to the "wall" on the right hand side of the main hallway (just below the gold castle) and abracadabra you will pass thru the wall to see the title "created by Warren Robinett".
    God I miss those days of "Turkey Dragons", magnets and that GOD DAMNED BAT! [​IMG]

9. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Nuon.

A DVD player with this feature will give you a chapter list which will include "easter eggs".

Too bad Nuon has just "fallen down and can't get up". Hope Samsung 'picks them up'.

10. David Lambert

Good memory, Kevin!
    If you want to play Adventure again, see the maps of the game (including the Easter Egg screen), and see what Warren has been up to since then (a LOT!), the check out his home page at http://www.warrenrobinett.com!

11. Clinton McClure

Clint
    I always wondered what the dot was for...
    Finally, someone (Kevin) who hated that bat more than myself. [​IMG]

12. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

dvdeastereggs.com is my favourite. [​IMG]

13. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Does anybody hate these things as much as I do?
    I pay to watch the movies and view the features, not waste my time "hunting" for what I've paid for! Believe it or not, marketing idiots, I've got other things to do in life, too!

14. David Lambert

Rex, you betcha I hate them. But only under these circumstances:
    1) The egg is something of real substance; something that matters to you whether you find it or not. EXAMPLE: The eggs I found in Buckaroo Banzai? I don't give a crap if I never stumble across those. They're whimsically fun items that are neat but non-important. They are not as important to me as, say, finding an extra cut of a movie that incorporates the alternate ending into the movie stream (an egg of some substance, wouldn't you agree, T2:UE fans?).
    2) The egg/eggs is/are "marketed" by substantial word-of-mouth, or in some cases by actually listing it among the disc's supplemental features! Sometimes it's right on the box! The concept of easter eggs are "hidden surprises". To have them be so important that they are part of the effort to sell the DVD instantly negates their fun factor and frivolity.
    3) They should be relatively easy to stumble across. Pretty obvious stuff, like "I wonder what happens if I highlight that fishbowl that seems to be oddly placed on the menu?" or "I wonder if winning the trivia game will get me a 'prize'?". It should never be as complicated as "1) highlight the spaceship, 2) enter this numeric sequence on your keypad, 3) turn to the east and pray to Allah, 4) ...while standing on one foot, 5) and now press enter on the remote JUST when the moving item is precisely at THIS point in it's cycle".
    I think many of us agree that violating any one of the above "rules" spoils the whole concept of easter eggs. We are all aware of one particular DVD author - who's VERY good, mind you - who regularly violates all three rules and shoves the eggs down our throats!
    Me, I just ignore 'em at this point. If I can't get to it easy, I'm not jumping through hoops. I'm not gonna print out intructions and insert them into my keepcases, either. I *was* keeping up with those egg sites to copy-and-paste egg-finding info into my database of DVD's I own. Now instead I just keep up with them to share the fun ones I DO find on occassion (so far just Beastmaster and Buckaraoo Banzai).
    Your milage may vary. If other respondants LOVE the eggs no matter what, then we'll just agree to disagree! [​IMG]

15. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

David Lambert: You should send your eggs into my site. I post reader eggs immediately.

16. Clinton McClure

Clint
    I just pay to watch the movies. I don't even want the extras.

17. David Lambert

Patrick, I'll check out your site after dinner. I've never been by before. Thanks!
    Clinton: "Your milage may vary" [​IMG]

18. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann