DVD scratch repair kits: Do they work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I saw some for sale the other day. You just spray the special solution and wipe with the special cloth. Has anyone tried these before? Do they work?
    I don't need it for my own collection--I keep my CDs and DVDs in pristine condition due to my strict no-lend policy.[​IMG]
    If these repair kits work, however, I would buy one to use on rental DVDs. I've rented some DVDs that were so badly scratched that they caused severe pixelation or didn't play at all.
    By the way, just what in the world do people do with DVD rentals anyway? Do they use them as frisbees? Do they clean them with sandpaper? Do they use them as coasters? I simply don't understand how DVDs can get so scratched up under normal use. I always handle discs by the edges only.
    Anyway, if anyone has had any experience with one of these repairs kits, let me know...

2. Mark Lensenmaye

Mark Lensenmaye Auditioning

I just yesterday bought a DVDDRx (Digital Innovations) from Media Play. I am returning it tomorrow.

I followed the directions exactly, and I was left with a cloudy, unplayable DVD. Also, it was very cheaply made, and was difficult to open.

I can't speak for any other tool, but I can't recommend this one. Others may have gotten this to work successfully, but I'm not going to risk another disc.

3. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

the one I use does, to a certain extent.

I saw my niece doing something to her DVD which made me shudder. She's 2. so yes, rental exposes it to all untold actions.

anyone have comments on buffing machines?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Distilled water and detergent coupled with a very soft cloth are still the best way to go for cleaning DVDs. As for scratch-removal kits: Anything that uses even the mildest abrasive compound to buff out scratches should be viewed with suspicion. They do so by buffing out part of the plastic--and that can cause more harm than good.

As for how rental DVDs are handled: Though ye are a purist, thou walkest among a land populated by Joe and Jane Sixpacks. Most people, also, treat something that doesn't belong to them with less care than something that does belong to them. In short, they don't care. (I'm amazed at how many people don't even know how to remove a DVD from its case properly, tugging and yanking as they do from the disc's edges.)

5. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

Fox 32 News here in Chicago a few weeks ago aired a little story on Disc Repair kits. The one they featured was called the Disc Doctor or something like that.

It's green and black, comes in either hand powered or a higher priced electric model.

What I remember from it is that you put the disc face up, spray the cleaning solution on the disc and close up the spinning cloth wheel over the disc and crank away.

They included a demo of a DJ that really scratched up a perfectly good CD and then used this cleaning machine and it played without problem.

They only demonstrated this on CD's. NO DVD's, CD-Rom's or Video Game Discs.

While the machine seemed to work, they showed what the surface of the CD looked like after they cleaned it with this machine and the CD had hundreds of swirling marks all over it.

Based on this demo, I don't think I would even risk using this machine to fix/ clean any of my discs. I'll just use the standard method of cloth and water.

6. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Yeah, the Disc Doctor does work, but it really mucks up the playing surface of the disc.

Chris.

7. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

Considering that you're taking a layer of plastic off of the disc, the DVD Doctor and other similar contraptions may work once or twice at the most. Emphasis on the word 'may.'

I work part-time for Suncoast and we've been told to sing their praises and sell as many as possible. Don't waste the $20-50 for this thing, as I tell many of my customers. Use a soft cloth and water to clean your discs if necessary.

Dewitte

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I use CD Playright standard and just tried the Pro (sandpaper), with 70% success.
    Doesn't make it any worse.
    The Quick Shield spray is good for general cleaning.
    The machine I'm looking at is this one:
    http://www.diskdoctor.com.au/
    Any comments?

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I've only had one disc that CD/DVD Playwright Trio couldn't fix, and I strongly recommend it. Whenever I rent a disc, they usually go back to the store in better shape than I got it. Make sure you get the package with Quick Shield, Polish & Finish.

-Dave

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I had my Video Essentials seriously scratched to the point where I was about to chuck it. It would always freeze at the point where I needed it (pink noise speaker level setup). I used the creams and it fixed it good.

11. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

who scratched it??

12. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I've got a Skip Doctor (I think it's called...) and, although it does make the surface of the disc ugly, it has fixed some pretty nasty scratches. [​IMG]

13. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    I have to chime in about Disc Doctor. Thumbs down. We rented a movie once back in Jan. and it was all messed up, so I used DD on it, following the directions exactly. As stated here, it worked in the sense that the place where the disc was locking up was fixed, but the surface turned cloudy and there were OTHER spots where the disc locked up again. Am I supposed to trust this? I never used it again.

Mike

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The trick with Disc Doctor is that it leaves a residue from removing the scratch. If the disc isn't thoroughly cleaned after the scratch removal, you'll have problems.
    The fact that the disc appears "cloudy" after using DD is normal and is covered in the instructions.
    I've had a few successful recoveries with DD, and I've had other discs (rentals) that were too badly damaged to be restored by any means at all.
    M.

15. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    DaveF, where is the CD/DVD Playwright Trio sold?

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Chris's quote...

17. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

I've heard good things about this product,
    http://charismac.com/Products/drfixit/index.html
    but haven't yet had the need to try it out myself. Charismac is more into disk formatting software, so it came as a surprise to me that they are selling this product. It might work, who knows?

18. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
  19. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I used the DISK DOCTOR and it worked for me.

20. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

makes me scared to have kids.

I refused to play the disc my niece was nagging me to play, UNTIL she learned to hold it right.

...ie. when my Mum showed her (again).