What's new

DVD Sales Statistics? (Overall) (1 Viewer)

Decided to jump online today for some DVD research, and haven't had much luck finding a current list of overall software sales. For example:

What's the current highest selling title? (Not this week - overall in the history of DVD) What are the top 10? How many units have the top titles sold? Where are the current crop of releases on the chart (those that have sold 3 million or so their first week out)

I'm aware of the relative inaccuracy of the current tracking methods, but just need some general numbers, that delve into number of units sold of each title. I'm interested in the ratio of units sold of a particular title to installed player base (PS2 and DVD-ROM units will also be considered).

I've done some searches but only come up with weekly charts or overall charts that don't maintain unit sales. Am I looking in the wrong places?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jonathan

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Damn, I wish I could help you out here. I've also been trying to find somewhere online that has some sort of database that contains all this info. Somebody here has to know, c'mon! :)

It's funny that this industry is so shaky about reporting sales figures and unit sales. After all, wouldn't it be good to have at least an estimated idea about which discs were the all time bestsellers?
Every week we're bombarded with a new weekly sales record. Most recently, it's the Grinch, outpacing it's competitors. But where is the Grinch on the alltime sales chart? If Gladiator, or the Matrix, is the sales leader, how long can they remain at the top before being "dethroned"?
Presumably, such an all time sales chart (even if using limited data from Videoscan)would be watched carefully by studios and DVD entheusiasts everywhere. After all, the music industry has always touted it's highest selling albums, and people tend to love statistics and "chart watching."
Wouldn't it be nice to watch your favorite titles climb the chart? Maybe some DVD group or organization should get on this. ;)
Jonathan

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Probably of little relevance here, but "Making Michael Jackson's Thriller" became the biggest-selling videocassette when it came out in 1983.

I've always wondered what the biggest-selling laserdisc title was (I heard somewhere it was Fantasia.)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I wanna know where Bill Hunt get's his info. His chars usually go several weeks between updattes. Does anyone know where the Videoscan charts are?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks