What's new

DVD Sales - "Lord of the Rings" - 8/11/02 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Shrek did so much better because it's an animated movie. Sure, you could argue that Harry Potter appeals to kids and families as Shrek does. But look at the top-selling videos of all-time. They're all animated movies, most of which outsold even the biggest live action movie in the history of cinema, Titanic.
I feel that this brings up an important point in where a significant amount of extra money comes in for animated fare:
[rant]Daycares[/rant]
I never would have thought of it in a million years, until a few years ago when my son started attending a daycare. Day in and day out, I see where the kids are entertained at least once a day with a video. Almost always animated, though there are exceptions (they borrowed my copy of The Wizard of Oz just the other day, but then they had a theme day where the entire room was decorated as Oz).
There are 5 "classrooms" at my son's daycare. Each has a TV with a VCR in it, and almost all of them now have DVD players as well (the "baby room" is the exception). None of the classes, to my knowledge, own non-animated stuff like Potter or even Wonka...though teachers and parents are free to loan their own copies, of course.
But anything in the daycare's own library seems to be animated. The oldest class has Shrek and Jimmy Neutron, among others...my son sneaks in to watch them! :) His own class has many a Disney title, plus stuff like Elmo and Thomas The Tank Engine among others.
Where are they getting this stuff? Target, Wal-Mart, K-mart. Where else? That adds into the sales for that stuff. And they always seem to have the new stuff by Weds/Thurs, so that goes into the first-week sales.
Is my son's daycare the only one doing this? I doubt it strongly. Even when the business itself isn't buying this stuff, the teachers and admins are, so they have the title to loan. And think about it: just how many daycares and babysitters are there in America? It all adds up...

That's a shame. LOTR is by far the most christian-compatible movie I've seen in the last year. I wish people would do research before they dismiss titles like that.
My guess is they have a problem with all of the pagan god like characters in the story. Regardless of it being about good versus evil it still is about non fictional god like characters that aren't biblical. Just because you think it's ok doesn't mean another Christian can't disagree without being labled an idiot as you have implied.

Brandt

Stunt Coordinator
I think Tolkien is greatly misunderstood by the casual reader/movie-goer Many who casually saw the film, or who have only had a cursory introduction to his stories/writings may not know that he was deeply religious, and had a somewhat influential role in the conversion of C.S. Lewis to Christianity. Although he claims there is none, a great deal of Christian allegory can be found in LOTR. Anyway, I don't think this thread was intended to be religious in nature, so I'm ready to move on to something else :) .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, let's stop the discussion about religion. This is neither the forum nor the thread for such a discussion. Thank you.
Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks