DVD sales beats Theater earnings.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PeterKjeldsen, Aug 28, 2002.

1. PeterKjeldsen

PeterKjeldsen Auditioning

www.nytimes.com has an article up that brings some interesting numbers forward:

2. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

Very interesting, I found those figures quite surprising myself, as even though we are all aware how well some of these titles sell at least I didn't think the revenue being generated was close to the kind of numbers quoted there.

Given this, you have to wonder what the roll-out will be like for new formats such as the impending HD-DVD (the recently proposed MPEG-4 format as well as a longer-term higher capacity medium we have all been hoping for). Certainly sounds like studios are happy with what they are seeing now, meaning things like D-VHS and any HD formats will (if anything) stay in a relatively small (niche) market for the time being.

3. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

That's not too surprising. Videogame revenue has been beating out theater revenue for a while now.

It seems like more and more people are getting their entertainment at home. Folks too busy to takes their kids to the movies, theater tickets too expensive. Why even rent for $6 at Blockbuster when you can own it for little more than twice that?

4. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

With all these profits maybe they will start to bring prices down a bit.... then again maybe not [​IMG]

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

This is the quote that I 100% agree with...

6. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Also happens a lot with movies that don't do well in theatres but rake in money from home rentals and sales.