DVD-RW vs. DVD-RAM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkHastings, Mar 11, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

So I've been learning a lot about these +R discs, but my research just brought up a question that I never thought of before.

My DVD burner says it's a DVD RAM/R drive. I have a DVD-RAM (rewritable) that I've been using. My question is: What's the difference between a DVD-RAM and a DVD-RW? If I bought a DVD-RW would it work in my burner?

I read somewhere else that a DVD-RW holds 4.7GB, where a DVD-RAM only holds about (don't quote me directly on this because I forget the exact number) 3.6GB? Is there a limitation? My DVD-RAM says it's a 4.7GB disc.

Help

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

That link goes to the official DVD+RW site, where you'll find a whole lot of spin in favor of DVD+RW.

DVD-RAM is not the same as DVD-RW. DVD-RAM 1.0 was limited to 2.58GB, but DVD-RAM 2.0 is 4.7GB. DVD-RAM is probably the least compatible with DVD players.

I was under the impression that all DVD-R burners could also burn DVD-RW. It seems to me that if it can burn DVD-R and DVD-RAM, then it has what it takes to burn DVD-RW, but I would not doubt that somebody had the shortsightedness to omit the DVD-RW capability because it can burn DVD-RAM.

What model DVD burner do you have?

4. MarkHastings

I have the "QPS DVD-R/RAM Internal IDE Multidrive". I bought it over a year ago and there doesn't seem to be much info on it (even from QPS's site).

I just did a search on QPS's site for my model, and I found an interesting FAQ:
    http://www.qps-inc.com/support/displ...=6&IFC=3&MDL=6

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

They both use a different chemical for the disc.

The write-once uses a special chemical that is permanent. Once the change to the chemical layer is made, that's it. It's done. The rewritables use a different chemical that can be "reset" so that it can be rewritten up to 9,999 times.

The DVD-R/RAM drive can't detect or burn to the particular chemicals that are used in DVD-RW.

As to your last statement, I would say "No". DVD-RAM was created to be a data storage medium, not a video storage solution. Granted, a DVD is nothing more than a disc with TS_AUDIO and TS_VIDEO directories, but there's probably more to it than that with DVD-RAM, not the least of which is the chemical of the disc.

There are probably DVD encoding issues as well. All blank DVDs have a permanent code in the disc set at the manufacturing plant that basically says "No encryption". If DVD-RAM does not have this code, it might be what's confusing the DVD players.

6. MarkHastings

John,

I'm not sure if I'm reading your post correctly, but my DVD-RAM is rewritable. I understand the difference between DVD-R and DVD-RW, but if a DVD-RAM is rewritable doesn't it use the same chemical as DVD-RW...making them similar?

7. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Not necessarily. At least when it comes to CD-R and CD-RW, different companies and manufacturers use different chemicals. I can't see why it would be any different with the various iterations of DVD.