DVD+RW/+R vs DVD-RW/-R ????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenK, Oct 5, 2002.

1. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

Can someone explain the real world differences between these 2 formats? I know that DVD+ is backed by Dell and others while DVD- is backed by Apple and others. Are there any compatibility issues with either format and DVD players?

Issue is, I'm thinking about buying a Dell, which only has DVD+R & +RW, but I'm getting the impression that DVD-R and -RW seems to be more prevalent, especially when buying media.

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

Thx
    Steve

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

There are compatibility issues with both. At this point it seems that neither one has a significant compatibility advantage over the other. The one thing supporters of both sides can agree to is that newer DVD players have fewer problems playing either type.

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

You can, of course, buy a Sony DRU500A DVD burner that burns 2.4x DVD+R, 2.4x DVD+RW, 4x DVD-R, 2x DVD-RW, 32x CD-R, 10x CD-RW, and reads 8x DVD, 32x CD, all for $253.49 shipped (plus tax though). It comes with a large 8mb buffer and buffer underrun protection.

That'll give you the best of both worlds.

4. StephenK

Wayne & Gabriel

Thanks for the input. I knew that Sony had a drive that did both formats but I am leery of adding a second party drive to a Dell system. I usually end up with some sort of IRC/Sound/Video conflict that takes days to work out. I think I'll end up going with the pre-packaged DVD+RW from Dell to avoid any harware compatibility issues.

Thx again
    Steve

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Dell (in their software & peripherals section) is the one selling the Sony. [​IMG]
    Best of luck with whatever you decide on. Let us know how it goes for you.

6. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

aren't DVD-R's able to play on most consumer DVD decks? thats why Apple uses them.

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

DVD+R has only recently become available (yeah, they actually shipped the drives when they only knew how to make the +RW part work) so it's too soon to tell whether DVD+R is more compatible than DVD-R.

There's a feature article at dv.com which goes through a test of 41 discs across 66 players from about two dozen brands. But they didn't test DVD+R.

9. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Stephen, I just bought a Dell with the DVD+RW drive and have burned several DVDs so far which play fine in the DVD player I purchased in 2000. I expect most people will be quite happy with whatever drive they choose.

10. StephenK

Timon,

Thanks. Just curious, where were you able to buy blank DVD+RW media and how much were they? Also, have you tried DVD+R (general) format disks? What player are you using?

Gabriel and Wayne,

Thanks for the links, this was just the info I was looking for.