What's new

Dvd-rp82 (1 Viewer)

EldridgeH

Auditioning
I was looking to buy a Panasonic DVD-Model dvd-rp82 (auto1) but they seem to be out of production. Can anyone tell me what model they were replaced with or the Panasonic xp30 or 50?

Kevin Sk

Grip
The panasonic xp50 is the replacement for the rp82, and the xp30 is the same thing without dvd-audio. Bad thing is all 3 are discontinued. The good news is the denon dvd-1600 is the same player as the rp82, but with better audio dac's. The Denon uses burr-brown audio dac's. The denon is more money, but if you buy a refurb you can get a good deal. I bought one from clubmac for $180 and $54 for a 3 yr replacement plan. They are out for the moment but should get more. Also ecost.com sell them refurb. The denon player is simply awesome. Hope this helps,
Kevin

EldridgeH

Auditioning
Thanks Kevin, great info...that was a good price for that unit and I will look for a refurb as well. Eldridge

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
If you want the exact replacement for the r82 with dvd-audio you will be looking for the panasonic dvdf85s. the xp50 is actually the same year model as the r82 but a higher end player(which explains why both are discontinued). the replacement model for the r82 is the f85. I work at circuit city and we carry the player for $149.99 and is a current model (we carry silver version so model number for us is pan dvdrpf85s). it's nice because the new model is $100 cheaper than the old r82 model and all the specs are the same.

Check out panasonic's web site

Edited

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
sorry made a mistake above, model number doens't have rp in it. it is pan dvdf85. sorry for confusion

greg_t

Screenwriter
The 85 uses Panasonics new all in one deinterlacer/MPEG decoder, whereas the 82 used the Farjouda 2200 deinterlacer and Panasonics top MPEG decoder. According to the secrets guys, the new panasonics using the new chip have the chroma bug, whereas the 82 didn't. This may or may not be important to you.

AnthonyJS

Agent
it's nice because the new model is $100 cheaper than the old r82 model and all the specs are the same
No, no, no! As greg_t pointed out, the F85 uses Panny's new all-in-one MPEG decoder/deinterlacing chip and has some "issues" as discovered by the Secrets people! The RP82, XP30 and XP50 all used Panny's high-end MPEG decoder and the Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 chip for deinterlacing. There is a difference in performance between these players!!! Do yourself a favor and try to find an XP50 or an XP30 if you do not need/want DVD-Audio and DVD-RAM capability.

BTW, do the HTF rules allow an employee of a company to post links to that company?!?

Kevin Sk

Grip
The last two post are correct, the f85 IS NOT the exact replacement for the rp82. I sell those units as well. Xp30 if you dont want dvd-audio, xp50 if you do. Denon 1600 if you prefer better audio DAC's.

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
Yes the panasonic f85 is the replacement for the r82, and it was my mistake to post that they are the same specs, the new models always seem to get cheaper and crappier than the old models. So if you want better quality go with the XP50. Plus the r82 and f85's 5 disc changer is a big pain in the butt to use. half the time it doesn't want to give up the disc your playing if you want to take it out. You have to hit the stop button like 4 times. sorry i wasn't advertising for Circuit City, I just work there and EldridgeH was wondering what the replacement for it was and I said CC has it, I'm just trying to help. I'm using the resources I have. Go buy it at Best Buy for all I care.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yamaha C920 is also a good one much like the RP-82. Burr brown dacs and 5 disc carousel, but a little pricy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks