DVD RP-56 Beginning to Shudder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I brought the RP-56 home in December; it gets minimal play, NMT 3-4x a week, if that. No CDs are played in the unit.
    The first "symptom" was the "inability" to read the Sound&Vision test disk.
    Then last night I played a new-release DVD rental, and the disk drive began shuddering and vibrating the chassis top like the unit wud fall outa the rack! (mild exaggeration).
    [​IMG] After a while, and some pixelation, it settled down after a few brief dropouts.
    I dont know if I saved the sales receipt, but it's probably not worth it to me to send this away to a Panasonic repair center. I want a progressive scan for the future since I'm still using a non-HD, interlaced tv. So if the RP-56 falls apart -- hello RP-82 slimline. Not willing to give up on Panny no-chroma bug boxes yet.

2. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps the rental DVD was just unbalanced? A lot of times rental places *cough*blockbuster*cough* put those darn stickers all over the top of the disks... Perhaps one of the stickers threw it off balance? If you've never had this before then it might just be a fluke. Could you of tried it in any other machine?

-Aaron

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

No, it's definitely the spinning disk drive. I just put in my new LOTR...I can feel start-up vibration on top, which isn't saying a lot since this unit's metal box construction is quite lite-weight and will easily rattle. Then it seems to settle down more smoothly.

Never tried to open a DVDp but I might take a look, damn the warranty. Course I don't know what to look for 'cept loose mountings.

4. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Is the vibration noticeably worse than before? Or is this something that you may have just noticed?
    Good luck. [​IMG]
    -Aaron

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Aaron,

This self-destructive behavior is new. Maybe I wasn't forceful enough in my description: When the DVD was played last night (I think rental is irrelevent here)the disk drive shudder and resultant harmonic vibration was like a cheap tea kettle lid rattling under a full head of steam.

bill

6. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Hey, cool, mine did that as well, but it was like that right out of the box.

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

oh cool, at least you could return yours...

8. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Yup. [​IMG] I tell ya, that Panasonic "quality" sure is dodgy.