DVD Rot - Can Someone Tell Us The Truths?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    This is not a new issue, I have seen it more than once.
    People get all excited when a disc quits playing all of the sudden and out of the blue they blame it on DVD Rot.
    DVD production house WAMO confided a long time ago that there was some issues with very early DVD's pressed in 1997 but have since solved the problem and tests their products, even under extreme heat.
    • A few people have said that cleaning the disc has helped them while for others it hasn't.
    • An exchange of discs has worked for a some.
    • Firmware upgrades in players has also worked.
    With the sheer numbers of discs stamped out by these houses, there are bound to be one or two that has problems as with any tangable goods.
    And optics may be slightly different (weaker/stronger) in a Toshiba as opposed to a Sony, Panisonic, or other players.
    I have seen milkish looking inconsistencies and air pocket like areas between layers on discs but it doesn't affect playback. I have also seen glue between layers near the center hole/hub.
    My question is this...
    With the above facts, can ANYONE truly identify and confirm that they have experienced DVD Rot and list your sources?
    Call this a bit of re-INSURANCE for my own collection [​IMG]

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    I am not looking for an "experience" response because like you said, there are plenty of them and many were debunked - as I have mentioned.

This is a CHALLENGE of sorts in trying to get someone... anyone to bring forth hard facts to substantiate that their problem was directly DVD Rot related.

It could be results from an independent lab, a DVD production house exec, the DVD title holders, the disc coming apart in their hands, whatever...

4. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

There are numerous reasons for DVD playback issues. What the ill named DVD rot pertains to is a manufacturing defect resulting in delamination, the separation of the polycarbonate layers due to a failure of the UV resin or lacquer bonding agent. Rather than expound on that, I would direct you to previous threads.

For acknowledgement of the issue and assistance with the few titles known to be effected, you might contact:

Pierre Loubet

Vice President, Sales

Advanced Media

Warner Media Services

1-818-638-0401

You may also search the internet for further info, including images of failed media.

5. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Scott,

I spoke directly with a representative from WAMO (which by the way is part of Ivy Hill Corporation now) a couple of years ago. He told me about the problem they had with "early" production in 1997 but had no problems reported since. And that they test their products without any DVD Rot results.

I have seen those pictures you refer to and most are islolating a breakup of pixels within a single shot on screen. This could be caused by a number of things other than ROT.

As you said, people loosely use the term and is why I am asking for evidence from anyone who can prove that what they have is actual ROT comprable to Laser Rot (which is known).

6. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Steven,

The pictures I'm referring to are not screenshots but the actual defective media, the appearance of the DVD itself. Also, the problem with testing and QC is that the failure is not immediately evident, but manifests later, hence the progressive term "rot".

7. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Scott,

You didn't provide me with any links but I have seen those speculative pictures of DVD Rot examples including outlines of the milky film and spots I mentioned above which doesn't affect playback on most players. I am assuming those are what you are speaking of?

If you have seen actual layer separation pictures online, please point me to them!

8. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

With the exception of those specific 1997 WAMO problems, I can't help but suspect this is more of a player/software compatability issue.

I've owned a second-generation Sony DVP-S300 since December 1998. I own some 200 DVDs and I rent another 10 titles per month. I've never had a single disc --- not one fail to play perfectly in all that time. None of my older discs have gone bad and even scratched rental DVDs play perfectly.

You would think that, statistically, I would have run into rot by now, at least once.

9. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Steven,
    I am referring specifically to delamination, not cloudiness. I am planning on starting an information thread here with what I have discovered about cloudiness, with some supporting reference info, but that is not related to "DVD rot".
    I knew you would ask for the links, and I did check earlier to see if I had them bookmarked but I don't. I will post them when I get a chance to find them again, but I just don't have time right now as I'm shooting tomorrow and have a 4:30a drive away... I'm just making some CDs real quick for the shoot [​IMG]
    As Ken suggests, most issues that people attribute to "DVD rot" are not delamination but any number of other problems. "DVD rot" is a very rare occurence.

10. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Ken,
    I don't have the largest collection by far (between 200-250 discs) but like you, have been buying them since 1998 and not once have I run into a problem other than the master problem plagued Dinosaur. Not even with cheap bargain basement discs!
    This also leads me to believe people aren't always telling the truth about their handling of discs, how they store them, or what condition (including how clean) their players are?
    Don't get me wrong. I am sure a couple will slip through QC when millions of discs of any one particular title is pressed. Again, you get lemons even with music CD's also over time!

11. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Scott,

I think we are on the same wavelength then as long as you understand that what I am looking for is what people have loosely labled as "rot".

Looking forward to your findings!

12. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

Steven, I'm calling it a day. If you wish to check out the big "DVD rot" panicky thread over at DVD Talk you will find my many posts on the topic, trying to throw water on a stoked fire. Hopefully it will be obvious that I believe this problem to be both real and very rare. As I stated there, the sky is not falling. Btw, I'm 'reverb' there.