What's new

DVD-ROM with 5.1 which one to get? (1 Viewer)

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
Hiya,
I just built up a replacement to my old ass 300mhz. Im now running a P3 1Ghz, Cardexpert Geforce 2 32M dual video out/in, 512M RAM, and Asus mb.
I am looking for a decent sound card (under $70) and a DVD-ROM unit. I seen a couple models of Sound Blasters for $50 that support 5.1 and I have seen tons of DVD-ROMs out there that are under $50. I was looking at the Afreey 12x DVD-ROM @ $35 but I didnt see if it supports 5.1. I see the Creative Labs DVD-ROMs support 5.1 but wondering who else does. Looking at PRICEWATCH.COM I see 10X DVD-ROMs under $30, do I really need anything faster than 10X/12X?
This is a multi purpose PC, Games, MIDI, Music Recording, I would like to extend its MultiMedia functions to DVD as well.

ThucN

Agent
All DVD-rom drives support 5.1 audio (the data read by the DVD-rom travels on the PCI bus). It's not necessary for the DVD-rom to have an S/PDIF or anything.
The major area of concern is the sound card and its drivers. Not all sound cards and drivers can pass on the 5.1 audio to the software DVD player (i.e. WinDVD, PowerDVD).
For example, I have a SoundBlaster 5.1 card, and I dual-boot into Win2k and Win ME. I can output 5.1 to my receiver under Win ME, but not under Win2k (lack of 5.1 under Win2k is well-documented).
About the drive speed - 10x or 12x won't make much difference.

Ed B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for clearing that all up for me.
I should be out getting a DVD-ROM and Sound card very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks