What's new

dvd-rom will no longer play dvds - please help! (1 Viewer)

Kieron

Auditioning
I have a Samsung SD 612 dvd-rom which can no longer play or even explore dvd disks. It still plays ordinary cds okay. I have tried deleting it from device manager (where it is listed as an ordinary cd rom drive - is this normal?), but the problem persists. The only major software change I have made to my system since I noticed the drive wasn't working is to install and then uninstall Internet Explorer 6. I've tried flashing the firmware, also to no avail. The drive is on the secondary IDE channel and set at master, with a cdr drive as the slave. It worked fine up until the last few days. Is this likely to be some kind of Windows problem or is the drive dead? I'm running Win 98, by the way.

Hugh M

Second Unit
try uninstalling the "controller channel" that the drive is on... then reboot. also check to see if DMA is enabled if you have the option in device manager.
I think it is ok to have it listed as a cd rom, only XP lists it as a DVD drive.
if you are saying that it cannot even explore in "explorer" then I am inclined to rule out that your software dvd movie player is at fault. although something somewhere connected to that could be causing the problem..If you have a dvd player installed somewhere try uninstalling and reinstalling...or you could download a trial version from www.intervideo.com , www.ravisent.com , or www.gocyberlink.com ...and see just in case.
what about a plain DVD-ROM like an encyclopedia or something, do you have any of those to try out? something that is not a "DVD"?
best of luck.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'd remove the ribbon cable attached to it and reboot. Let Windows 'learn' that it is not there, and then turn it off and reattach it. That might do it.

Glenn

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
This may be a long shot, but...
Have you changed the region code in your DVD player at all? There is a set limit of usually 4 region code changes before it becomes locked on the last choice requiring a factory reset to make any further region changes.
If you have changed the region code, check the region settings and try playing a dvd from the region it is set to, if it works, then that was your problem.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Kieron,
I have the same DVD ROM with the same problem!
Have you found a solution yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks