What's new

Dvd rom region question (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
You don't.

A brand new computer dvd drive is almost never region free.

Without going too much into verboten territory, the only way for a dvd drive to be completely region free is to reverse engineer and hack the drive's firmware. (ie. Can you read a lot of low level assembly language? )

Either that or finding a modified firmware that somebody else has already hacked to be region free. ;)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I read somewhere online several years back that pretty much any DVD ROM drive made after Y2K is subject to the maximum of 6 (Or so!) times that the region code can be changed, and that it's hardware (Could have meant firmware, as I've seen both used interchangeably!) based.

If you want a multi region setup for DVD playback on your computer, my suggestion would be multiple drives (IE, With 2 DVD Drives, one could be set to your home region, and the other to your most common alternate region), that would enable you to set multiple regions. Just as an example, I have an Acer PC Laptop, which includes an internal DVD Burner Drive with the usual DVD Region 1 setting, plus an external Pioneer Blu-ray Disc Burner Drive that I've set to DVD Region 2 playback. It may also be worth noting that the free VLC Player also plays Region 1 DVDs on that Pioneer BD Drive, although for some reason, it wouldn't do the same when I attempted to play Region 2 DVDs on my Region 1 DVD Drive, hence the need for me to set up one of my Drives for Region 2 DVD playback, if that makes sense!

I hope this helps!

CHEERS! :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I read somewhere online several years back that pretty much any DVD ROM drive made after Y2K is subject to the maximum of 6 (Or so!) times that the region code can be changed,

That is definitely rpc2. Rpc1 had unlimited region changes.

and that it's hardware (Could have meant firmware, as I've seen both used interchangeably!) based.

Usually it is in the firmware. A popular hack back in the day, was to modify the dvd drive's firmware from rpc2 to rpc1.

If you want a multi region setup for DVD playback on your computer, my suggestion would be multiple drives (IE, With 2 DVD Drives, one could be set to your home region, and the other to your most common alternate region), that would enable you to set multiple regions.

These days this would be easiest thing to do. Especially when brand new computer dvd drives are as low as $20 a pop or less.

Just as an example, I have an Acer PC Laptop, which includes an internal DVD Burner Drive with the usual DVD Region 1 setting, plus an external Pioneer Blu-ray Disc Burner Drive that I've set to DVD Region 2 playback. It may also be worth noting that the free VLC Player also plays Region 1 DVDs on that Pioneer BD Drive, although for some reason, it wouldn't do the same when I attempted to play Region 2 DVDs on my Region 1 DVD Drive, hence the need for me to set up one of my Drives for Region 2 DVD playback, if that makes sense!

Just wondering. Is your laptop's dvd drive a Matshita/Panasonic slim internal model? (Acer has been using Matshia dvd drives over past several years in their desktops).

One of my Acer computer's dvd drive is a Matshita/Panasonic model, which has that distinct behavior of completely prohibiting playback of region mismatched discs. Other current dvd drives on the market do not have this distinct Matshita behavior.

Recent Matshita/Panasonic model numbers typically start with "UJ" in the device manager on windows10.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just wondering. Is your laptop's dvd drive a Matshita/Panasonic slim internal model? (Acer has been using Matshia dvd drives over past several years in their desktops).

One of my Acer computer's dvd drive is a Matshita/Panasonic model, which has that distinct behavior of completely prohibiting playback of region mismatched discs. Other current dvd drives on the market do not have this distinct Matshita behavior.

Recent Matshita/Panasonic model numbers typically start with "UJ" in the device manager on windows10.

Indeed, it is! This is how it reads in my Windows 10 Device Manager; MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8D2Q. I seem to have a knack of running across extra prohibitive devices such as these! :P Anyway, thank you very much for the tip! :)

As I hadn't tested my Region 2 DVD with VLC Player (I wasn't aware of it's ability to play all regions at that time!), prior to changing the region coding on my external Pioneer Blu-ray drive, this gives me cause to wonder whether changing the region code for that drive was really necessary at all? While for any other Media Platform, only Region 2 DVDs will play on the Pioneer external drive, I've yet to have VLC Player reject a Region 1 DVD that I've played on that same drive! Perhaps, I should try a DVD from a third Region to see whether this will also play on my Blu-ray drive, via VLC Player?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
As I hadn't tested my Region 2 DVD with VLC Player (I wasn't aware of it's ability to play all regions at that time!), prior to changing the region coding on my external Pioneer Blu-ray drive, this gives me cause to wonder whether changing the region code for that drive was really necessary at all? While for any other Media Platform, only Region 2 DVDs will play on the Pioneer external drive, I've yet to have VLC Player reject a Region 1 DVD that I've played on that same drive! Perhaps, I should try a DVD from a third Region to see whether this will also play on my Blu-ray drive, via VLC Player?

When there is a region mismatch between a disc and the dvd drive, VLC basically cracks that particular dvd disc's encryption keys by brute force on the fly. The dvd css algorithm was designed so poorly, that it only takes a few seconds to crack the vast majority of keys on dvd discs.

When there is no region mismatch, the dvd player just asks for all the keys to decrypt an entire dvd disc. (The sectors with the keys on a particular dvd disc, is not directly readable by generic dvd drive read commands).

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
When there is a region mismatch between a disc and the dvd drive, VLC basically cracks that particular dvd disc's encryption keys by brute force on the fly. The dvd css algorithm was designed so poorly, that it only takes a few seconds to crack the vast majority of keys on dvd discs.
It's too bad that VLC Player is unable to do the same with Blu-ray discs in general, whose algorithms are presumably less poorly designed! :P

It's very nice to know that I should be able to use VLC Player to playback any DVD Region code on my Pioneer BD Drive, at least!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In the case of Matshita/Panasonic drives, the generic read command is somewhat more involved than on other dvd drives by other manufacturers.

From what I've read over the years, the generic read command on Matshita/Panasonic dvd drives seems to first check whether there is a region mismatch between the disc and drive, before passing any data back to the computer. If there is no mismatch, the data is sent to the computer.

For just about every non-Matshita/Panasonic dvd drive currently on the market, the generic read command doesn't seem to do this additional check for a region mismatch between the dvd disc and drive. As long as the drive is already authenticated, the generic read command will just send back the data to the computer regardless of any region mismatch.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Don't know if you can still buy them, but I have an Apex DVD player. Push the right buttons and you get a "secret" menu. Forget the wording, but it comes up with something like "you shouldn't be seeing this". But afterwards you can play any DVD, regardless of region.

A bit out-dated with Blu-Ray, but still comes in handy at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynPaulFan1961
Recent bookmarks