DVD-ROM recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gillespie, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Having practically ignored PC-based DVD up 'till now, I know very little about the hardware or software involved.
    Basically, I want a good DVD-ROM for my PC. It wont be running an HT system. This is just for playing DVDs on the PC when I can't be arsed to fire up the proper HT system. I don't want to spend a load of money - I just want a good quality, reliable player which will also need to double as a CD-ROM drive.
    I'm running a PIII600 system with 384mb of RAM. Graphics card is a Matrox G400MAX (32mb). Audio comes from a Hercules Fortissimo II (since the SBLive! died last week - ahh, it sucked anyway). I don't really want to upgrade any other hardware at present.
    One thing - it must be able to play DVDs from different regions. I don't mind doing a flash upgrade, just as long as I can get it working.
    If it can do Plextor-quality CD audio ripping, then that will be a nice plus too, but it's not crucial.
    I'm looking at the Lite-On 16x48 - any other recommendations? Good or bad things to say? Worth spending a bit more for one of the bigger brands?
    Give me your thoughts.
    Cheers.
    Rob

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

not sure on the lite-on, but my Pioneer 106s (slot load) works great and can be flashed to RPC-1 (region-free).
    what I would do is find a drive that has the performance you want, then check if a hacked firmware is available here.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Thanks Matt. I've asked the same thing on AnandTech and everybody has come back and recommended the 106s, which is handy because at £61 OEM, is about kind of cost I was thinking of.

OK, so it can be flashed to disable the regional lock. What about audio DAE? I use the Plextor CD-RW for ripping as I find it more accurate than my current Teac CD-540E. If the Pioneer can DAE well, then cool, but it's not a huge consideration.

Software - everyone I've spoken to praises PowerDVD. Any thoughts?

4. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I recently got the Lite-On DVD drive. It's amazingly quiet and it was about $50. I don't have a lot of use on it yet but it seems to be great so far.

5. Shiva Singh

Shiva Singh Extra

I have the Lite-on 16x dvd drive, upgrade from an Afreey 8x unit, and must say it's a great drive.

It's incredible at D/A ripping, I can burn at 24x straight from the cd with no problems with audio quality. In fact, I can "hear" that the drive isn't even running at full speed even when the cd burner is writing at 24x. Overall it's about the fastest cd drive I've used.

The drive is overall as queit as my previous drive, and it's quieter then my 24x burner. I don't have any non region 1 encoded disc, but when I installed the included dvd software it gave me the option to choose any region I wanted. Try searching for a region free firmware.

One advantage of the Lite on over the pioneer (and why I didn't buy the pioneer) was that the Lite-on can read the encrypted data of copy protected cd's, something the pioneer can't do (according to owners of the pioneer drive, there may be a new firmware that can this by now.)

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've ordered the Pioneer 106s. Thanks chaps. [​IMG]