What's new

DVD-ROM Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to add a simple DVD drive to my system but I've heard of problems that some have had reading certain DVD's. Is there a clear choice for a bug free drive or is it the luck of the draw.

Ken Bartke

Auditioning
I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you I just added an AOPEN 1640 16X slot-loading DVD ROM to my PC. I am very pleased with this puppy and haven't had any problems. It is UDMA33 capable. I picked up the retail version for $80 which included PowerDVD.
The AOPEN 1640 is the exact same unit as the Pioneer 105S but it is priced for $20-$25 less.
You can search for the best prices at www.pricewatch.com
Good luck with your addition.
Ken

Kevin_Graham

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really gun shy when it comes to AOpen products. I've used them in the past with very poor results. Compatibility and reliability are what I'm looking for not necessarily the cheapest price.

ThucN

Agent
I've had really good luck with my AOpen CD-RW drive. It writes CDs in all of the modes (DAO RAW), detects errors, and even has "JustLink" (i.e. "BurnProof"). To top it off, it's inexpensive.

As Ken mentioned, some AOpen products are just other manufacturers' products in sheep's clothing. That means you'll get the brand name product without the brand name price (or support or service)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks