DVD-ROM player skips!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray Chuang, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

My Pioneer SD-M1202 DVD-ROM player is suffering from video playback frame skipping in almost every DVD movie I have in my collection. [​IMG] [​IMG] I've already checked to make sure DMA mode is enabled with no improvements.
    Do you think using a special cleaning disk to clean the lens will help things? Or should I forget about the whole idea and get a new DVD-ROM drive instead?

2. Dereck Graefer

I was having the same problems with my pioneer DVD-rom. I found out that it was actually Win XP that was causing the problems. I had windows 2000 server installed on my computer, so I decided to try playing DVD's with it, and I was surprised to find that it didn't skip. I found win XP couldn't play the AC3 audio correctly, and would skip. I ripped the AC3 track from Terminator 2 to my hard drive and used Soft Encode to play it ... it still skipped. So I realized it wasn't a problem with my DVD player. So after testing most the hardware in my computer (Sound card, Memory, Video Card, etc) I realized it was a software issue. I may have some combination of software on Win XP that is causing problems. All I know is that Win 2000 Seems to work fine. So before you go out and buy a new DVD-rom, try a different OS. It seemed to work for me. I'm going to make a fresh install of Win XP to see if it's a pure OS problem for me.