What's new

DVD ROM Player for TV? (Encoding-related) (1 Viewer)

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gang-Happy Holidays

Here's the (latest)dilemma.

I need a DVD player that will play DVD ROM's on my TV.
Is this possible???

Thanks for any help.

Too long (boring) a story to explain why for now.

CC Rider

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
OK here's the deal-

I'm trying to convert my analog SVHS tapes to DVD-
The system I use is made by Pinnacle-BUT it takes forever to "render" a "captured" video from the Hard Drive to the DVD Burner using the Pinnacle software.

The Pinnacle device that my VCR hooks up to works good,and it converts the SVHS to digital,and stores it on my Hard Drive (in what form I do not know)-

Now as I said if I use the Pinnacle software to try to convert the movie file on the Hard Drive to the DVD Burner it takes maybe 10-20 hours for a 2 hour video!!!

If I make a "DATA DISC" using Nero it only takes about 20 minutes to burn the DVD-BUT it will only play on my computer NOT my home DVD player.

I assume the reason being that a DATA DISC is way different from a basic DVD-SO I was thinking that if a consumer DVD player played DVD ROM's then it would read my "data disc's"

Make any sense?

CC

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Just use the proper software to author a DVD-R/RW, thats what you are missing. You can try the TMPGENC-DVD-Author software free for 30days. First use software to encode to the proper DVD format (MPG2, 720x480 resolution). Done properly it will make a compatible DVD-video disc, compatible with most regular DVD players. Virtually none will play a data disc from just video files - you need to author it to the DVD video standard. Programs like Nero can burn DVD-R/RW with DVD-video, its one of the selctions in the program.

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Don-I'm working on it.

Downloaded the your software,but still comming up empty.

I think I copied the video in MPG(1)??,and it wouldn't accept it.

Will try to copy the vid in MPG2 if I can (a newbie obviously).

Appreciate the help.

CC

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes you must encode it into DVD-compatible format, either 720x480 or 352x480 resolution with MPG2 at no higher than maximum 9.5Mb/sec. Also the audio must be 48Khz sampling either PCM or MP2 format.

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty sure I am encoding it in the DVD format,but i'm missing something (brain).

Also have Nero,and it won't accept the file.

Will keep trying to figure what the problem is-Thanks

CC

Chris-C

Stunt Coordinator
End of story!!!

As I suspected there are cheap DVD player's that "will" play "data disc's".

I did another search,and came up with some player's that decode data mpg's-my expensive Pioneer will not:frowning:

Solution for me was to pick up a "cheapie" that will now allow me to burn all my SVHS's to data dvd's for playback.

Trying to get my Pinnacle software to produce (render)a downloaded movie off the hard drive takes way too long.

Using Nero to burn a downloaded SVHS movie only takes 20-30 minutes-Mo Betta!

Thanks again Don for all your help.

CC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks