1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD-ROM compatibility

Discussion in 'Computers' started by WayneG, Dec 27, 2003.

1. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

I went to buy a simple DVD-ROM to play DVD extras. It required Windows 98 which I have, but I noticed on my Pirates of the Caribbean DVD that the minimum was Windows 98SE - which I don't have.

Does anyone know what 98SE has that 98 doesn't and if these requirements are accurate? Is it just a program that I could download or upgrade to? Thanks.

2. Qhat are you trying to play the movie through? Just Media player?

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I can't imagine that it would be of any concern. The DVD couldn't care less when it comes to the movie itself. As long as you have a software DVD player that runs on 98, you'll be fine. They might be talking about any Windows-centric special features that are on it, but the operating system is irrelevant when it comes to the movie itself.

98SE does have some significant changes to it, but again as long as your DVD player software runs on 98, you should have no problems with respect to watching the movie.

4. WayneG

WayneG Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. It's not the movie I want to watch but the extras that are only playable on a DVD-ROM. For that, the requirements are InterActual player (available on DVD), Windows 98SE, Microsoft IE 5.5, Flash Player 6.0, Internet connection, a DVD-ROM drive, and a DirectShow compatible DVD decoder. This is on the back of the Pirates box.

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Ah, yes. InterActual. Why bother just making the extras available through a browser or some common tool when you can force the user to install proprietary software? [​IMG]