DVD reviews & reviewers that don't have a clue.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay E, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I was checking out reviews of the region 2 DVD of Kurosawa's Kagemusha when I came upon this review from DVD Web:
    Its always tough watching an ultra slow-paced, sub-titled movie and a decent English soundtrack would probably have helped its cause. Its one to avoid, unless you're an academic enthusiast or a masochist. Many of you will find the best use of this particular DVD as a 'beer mat' for when you supp your chilled ale as you watch the DTS version of 'Predator (Special Edition)'.
    Obviously someone like this shouldn't be reviewing the merits of this film (or any film for that matter).
    Anyone else have a review that sticks in their craw?

2. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, there is so much to complain about in CATS than just the fact it has no plot. The fact it has 1 good song....
    Where is this Kagemusha "critic" so that I may..have words with him for insulting the memory of Kurosawa-sensei with his hackdom? [​IMG]

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Here's another reviewer who should have his keyboard confiscated. It's a review from Michael D's R4 of the 1973 film A Doll's House:
    For me, this movie just reinforces my rule to never watch any movie that was made before 1980. There are of course some notable exceptions to this rule, such as Alien, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind and Jaws, but as a whole I find it is a pretty good rule that serves me well.

6. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

DVDFile's review of Horror of Dracula which has just been posted indicates that the disc should have been given to somebody with some appreciation of Hammer and its legacy. [​IMG]

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Guys, I agree entirely. Whenever I'm reviewing something for TVShowsOnDVD, I try very hard to stay away from reviewing the content and merits of the feature itself, and stick to telling you whether the DVD release is any good.
    I love, on the other hand, to fill folks in on the history/background of the feature, and in the process try hard for every review to come up with one piece of trivia that the majority of the readers probably aren't aware of (like that the actor who played George Jefferson's prior "role" was as a post office worker in Indiana, or that the guy who invented Clifford the Big Red Dog was told he would never be successful as an illustrator of kid stories).
    I might mention in the review that *I* love a show, but I never say anyone else should love it, nor will I say I hate it. I realize that if a feature comes out on DVD, there is an audience for it somewhere. That audience is PROBABLY who is reading my review. They just want to be reassured as to whether or not the disc is worth the bucks. Maybe get more info about the contents than the back of the box provides.
    All I consider my role to be is as someone who gives them the data to make the DVD buying decision. I never imply to my readers that they have bad taste in the feature that's on the DVD! [​IMG]

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

9. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    This is why I generally skip straight down to the Video/Audio/Supplements portion of a DVD review....

DJ

10. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator

11. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Count me in as someone who glances down toward the "How does it look and how does it sound" part of the alleged reviews. I certainly don't need anyone to tell me if a movie is good or bad, I'll decide for myself thank you very much.
    I think DVD "reviewers" would be better served by avoiding authentic criticism since for the most part they are ill equipped to do so, the DVD file review of The Horror Of Dracula for example. It's like having someone who hates muscials review Singin' In The Rain.
    At least, Ron Epstein is forthcoming and honest in his reviews. In his negative review of Gosford Park, he didn't say it was a bad movie but simplay said it wasn't his thing. If only other "reviewers" could be so upfront as opposed to the clueless condescension.

12. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

The reviewer dr_lorro, who said the

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This is why I wish Roger Ebert and Robert Harris did joint DVD reviews together.

Most DVD reviewers have no idea of film technology or of vintage films...

I wanted to review for a DVD review website, but I was really turned off by the OBLIGATORY rule to make mono soundtracks no more than 2.5 out of 5 points. A few mono tracks I've heard such as Citizen Kane's and the track for Young Frankenstein are perfect...but no matter how good, it would be impossible to give them a perfect score. I'd virtually have to lie to those who read my reviews "Great soundtrack, but loses 2.5 points for being mono."

Some DVD reviews for The Evil Dead: Book of the Dead edition slammed it for being grainy. Well, since when is 16mm-originated film NOT grainy?

Sure, I have no problem with counting off for obvious stuff like ringing, too much film damage, tears, etc...but it's just pointless to count off for stuff that has been there since day one. I see some reviews slamming Technicolor for being to bright. Well, can Technicolor dye-transfer be flawed for having more vibrant color than Eastmancolor?

I'm organizing my own DVD and film review site to do it right. I'm just sick of older films getting the bad rating why crappy movies like Planet of the Apes get perfect scores because it's recent....and people wonder why it takes so long for classic movies to be on DVD.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Patrick: I've also gotten offers to join various startup DVD review sites, but turned them down for similiar "rules" which I didn't agree with. As it is, I run my own site which is very limited in reviews and I have to pay for the DVDs myself, but I don't have to death with blanket rules that don't allow for the exceptions that are going to follow. I'm glad you're sticking to your guns.

15. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

16. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

17. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

There's nothing wrong with reviewers stating their opinions about films. Yes, we all know what we think about films we've already seen, but I frequently gain some insight into that film by listening to the opinions of others. Indeed, I enjoy if the reviewer disagrees with my opinion -- my own views get challenged, and I revisit my opinion again.

Frankly, with the linked reviews above, I was just stunned at the utter ignorance of the reviewers. Yes, I know, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and certainly there's an intelligent way of giving a negative review to Seven Samurai (theoretically, at least). My 13-year-old kid has all sorts of opinions about films, but that doesn't mean I have to give them equal weight to Anthony Lane or Roger Ebert.

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

19. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I'll echo matters by saying how tired I am of reviews that begin "I hate musicals.." or "If there's one genre I can't stand...", and then do their best to deal with a DVD that is so odiously burdened as a musical, even if it's a classic. First off, the musical genre has always been more than SINGIN' IN THE RAIN and THE SOUND OF MUSIC; hundreds, if not thousands of musicals have been made over 70 years, and still being reinvented a la MOULIN ROUGE, but I have waded through some painfully clueless reviews that treat musicals as some minor, mutant cinematic aberration that contain no context or knowledge of this long suffering-for-online-respect genre. RRRRR!!! [​IMG]

20. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

Now you guys know how a number of us feel when mainstream reviewers tackle the anime genre.

Roeper and his "but they have such big eyes!" whine... ugh.