DVD Review: "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing" with screen captures.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Nov 27, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Thirteen Conversations About One Thing
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

[​IMG]

"Jill Sprecher, whose only previous directorial effort was 'Clockwatchers', utilizes some of the more consequential experiences in her own life in the creation of "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing". After graduating from the University of Wisconsin with a degree in philosophy and literature, she arrived in New York in the early '90s. She was greeted by a mugger, landing her in hospital with a concussion. She then sank into a deep depression, lifted one day a stranger on the street whose smile at her obliterated any perceived dark cloud she assumed was constantly floating over her. Sprecher details the subject matter of most conversations in her film as 'the pursuit of happiness'; how people achieve it, how they attempt to achieve it and how they recover from its absence.
    'Thirteen Conversations About One Thing' is an elliptical storyline structured as a series of slightly inter-related anecdotes around the significant life-altering events of four major characters . Construed by some as "depressing" , personally I found it rather life-affirming. Utilizing numerous techniques of floating (literally) symbols, she is able to project the notion of ill-fated rigidity or lack of flexibility. Each character who sticks to a black and white philosophy seems to suffer extensively in the long run. As Hollywood cinema is slowly, but inexorably, fading from my personal taste, this is the exception to the rule. A masterpiece?... perhaps not, but its as close as I have seen from an American film in many years."
    Release Information:
    Studio: Columbia Tri-star Home
    Theatrical Release Date: May 24th, 2002 (LA/NY); expands to other cities at later dates (moved back two months from March 1st, 2002)
    Package Type: Keep Case
    Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
    Widescreen letterbox 16X9 enhanced
    Discographic Information:
    DVD Encoding: Region 1
    Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), French
    Available subtitles: Spanish, French
    Edition Details:
    • Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen, Dolby
    • Commentary by the filmmaker
    • Theatrical trailers:
    Thirteen Conversations About One Thing (non-anamorphic widescreen) 2:19
    My Wife is an Actress (non-anamorphic widescreen) 1:34
    Last Orders (non-anamorphic widescreen) 2:13
    Sunshine State (non-anamorphic widescreen) 2:19
    • Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
    • Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
    DVD Release Date: November 19, 2002
    Keep Case
    Chapters: 13
    Comments: A strong image and inconsequential soundtrack provide another adept DVD from Columbia Tri-Star. It appears to be film-sourced and has true colors and sharp detail. This DVD has a wonderful commentary by director Jill Sprecher, sister Karen and film editor Stephen Mirrione. What I like about it, and the menus is the lack of over-indulgence. This understated DVD is very appropriate for the subtleties of this marvelous film. 4 1/2 out of 5.
    My Full Review with screen captures is HERE

2. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I'm just bumping this thread because I saw the movie last night and ordered it today. It is an excellent and accessible film that leaves the viewer with a lot to think about.

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'll recommend it as well.

4. Ron Kaye

Ron Kaye Agent

Very depressing movie.

Allan Arkin, who has played some of the funniest men in the movies, couldnt have played a more depressing character. Makes his character in Glengarry Glen Ross look like Bozo the Clown.

Don't mean to thread crap ... Just being honest.

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I might have to give this one another chance. The first time around, I was left feeling let-down. I wouldn't call it a bad film by any means, but it also didn't seem to raise itself above average. The performances, however, were excellent and for this reason alone, I'd be willing to watch it again.

Bruce

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I watched 13 Conversations... the other day and was impressed.
    Great little film that really does make you think.
    The transfer was pretty nice also.

7. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor