What's new

DVD REVIEW: "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Criterions "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" DVD, out tomorrow.

It arrived today and I had a chance to preview it:
Excellent quality. I am reminded of the Criterion "The Red Shoes". It seems to have the same soft palette. A High Definition digital transfer that was worth waiting for. This is the full-length version of the film, chocked with extras. It's about as good as any film I have seen made at this time period. In fact its almost impossible to believe that it was made in 1943. The Technicolor is superb. Great contrasts, deep blacks. Sound quality is equally impressive. Nothing but praise. Criterion at its best! 5 out of 5
Many large screen captures and further review HERE
Cheers,

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Fantastic.
Once again it looks like Criterion has bested the 35mm prints going around.
This one is a no-brainer for P&P fans! :emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Gee, thanks a *lot*, Gary. Did you have to post those screenshots? Now I have no choice but to buy this one tomorrow - I hoped I'd finally get a week where I didn't buy anything... ;)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
[SHATNER]Freewill... breaking down.... Must... have... this.... DISC![/SHATNER]
I ain't even gonna wait for cheaper online orders; I'm picking this up tomorrow at a B&M. One review and I'm sold.
BTW excellent review Gary. Your review for Children of Paradise earlier this year sold me as well -- Criterion ought to pay you a commission! ;)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great stuff, Gary! :emoji_thumbsup:
I have the region 2 Carlton edition. Tell me, does the Criterion edition have the same transfer? Or did they do additional work to the BFI print/Carlton videomaster? What does the "About The Transfer" section of the booklet say?
I'll be buying this. No hesitation!
Now... The Tales Of Hoffmann! :wink:
G.C.M

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Could it be the same transfer?
Pretty sure it's not, those captures on DVD Reviewer seem to have way too much contrast.
If one of my listserv members has the R2 I will do a comparison in the near future and post it here:
Link Removed
Cheers,

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Looks good, mine arrived Monday, but it will probably be a month or more before I get around to watching it.

Brad Nilsson

Agent
Thanks to this thread, I ordered "Blimp." I watched it last night. Wonderful characters, beautiful production, great acting.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Brad Nilsson

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Brook, if you've never seen the film, I highly recommend you bump it to the top of your list.
I watched this film on the weekend with a 20 year old friend who is far from a film buff and he enjoyed it immensely.
The DVD is indeed lovely. Aside from one spot of film damage near the end, the presentation is practically perfect.
I was pleasantly surprised to see Ebert chose this as one of his DVD picks of the week on yesterday's show. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks