DVD Review Sites

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Irwin H. Zack, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Irwin H. Zack

I've been away from this scene for a while and, after purchasing a new wide screen rptv and a new dvd player I want to start building a DVD collection again.

Other than this site, which DVD review sites on the web do you recommend? Who has the most extensive review data base and offers comprehensive info? I notice that after looking around a bit there have been substantial changes to the sites of just a few years ago.

Tnx for any help.

2. Juan C Toro

Juan C Toro Stunt Coordinator

Irwin:
    Since you are in Canada, the best recommendation I can make, is for you to check:
    www.toldyouso.net
    This is a Canadian site (out of Toronto), and addresses all the issues related to Canadian vs US releases... and believe it or not, sometimes it matters. Also, when listing prices (SRP), the amounts are always expressed in Canadian dollars.
    Juan Carlos Toro

3. Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve Second Unit

4. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

Definitely check out the link to DVD Basen that Jean Paul gave.

5. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I prefer DVD Verdict.
    They have a good staff (of judges) devoted to reviewing DVDs. Plus, they have a unique DVD review angle by essentially putting them on trial: presenting 'The Charge', an 'Opening Statement', 'Facts of the Case', 'The Evidence', 'The Rebuttal Witnesses', 'Closing Statement', and 'Verdict'.
    I also like their 'Scales of Justice' breakdown with grades out of 100 specifying Video, Audio, Extras, Acting, Story, Average, and Judgment (overall grade).
    -----
    For comparisons of the different Regional versions of the same title, I like Rewind. They have a database of over 6,000 DVDs compared including the winners for Region 1, 2, 4, and 0 (all).

6. Warren_Sc

Warren_Sc Second Unit

7. Irwin H. Zack

Thanks to you all for your suggestions, I've bookmarked all of them. Wow, what a job it'll be checking when I want to buy a disc but, better safe than sorry!

Tnx again

8. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    Go to DVD-Basen first. They don't review DVDs, they link to pretty much every DVD review on the web. From there, try 'em all and decide which ones match your views.

9. Dan Lindley

Dan Lindley Second Unit

I check here, the Bits, Ebert at the Chicago Suntimes, Amazon, DVDTalk... Heck, you'll never buy anything at this rate...

Dan

10. Irwin H. Zack

11. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

12. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

When did DVD-Basen return? Their site was going down the last I had heard. This is great news, as I have always considered it the very best review site. Why?
    ONE-STOP SHOPPING - it's all-inclusive! [​IMG] [​IMG]