DVD Review: Kieslowski's "A Short Film About Love" 86min version - with screen caps !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Tooze, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

[​IMG]

Hey,
    In case anyone, is interested Byung Joo has done a review of the Korean release of Kieslowski's "A Short Film About Love". You can access it and some screen captures HERE.
    Excerpt:
    Now, as far as the transfer is concerned, there are quite a few problems to this South Korean release by A9 media. One obvious problem was how dark and hazy the film looked. Pops and scratches are also evident throughout. But then, I kept on saying to myself that the film is old and was probably not preserved properly. The source probably wasn’t pristine to begin with. It is presented in non-anamorphic letterboxed widescreen at its near correct aspect ration of 1.62:1(IMDB says 1.66:1), unlike the 58 minute versions I’ve seen (from Image and Artificial Eye), which is presented in 4:3 full screen format. The DVD does provide good removable English subtitles and a decent original polish stereo (from mono source) soundtrack. The DVD is definitely acceptable, and its status as the only 86 minute version makes it hard to ignore.
    Cheers,
    Gary

ooopps... I see its R3 (will confirm if its R0). I will put in Regional DVD Area too...

2. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

But R3 I assume? Darn the luck if it is. [​IMG]

4. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Gary,

Do you know where we can order this disc from?

Thanks,
    Ted

6. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    Ted,
    You can get them here and here for $19.95 each. Their website says they have them in stock now. I think they're based in Frisco. You can probably get them cheaper from Korea but I have yet to figure out how to navigate any of those sites.
    Jeff