What's new

DVD Review: De Sica's "Shoeshine" NOT RECOMMENDED (with screen captures) (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
DVD Review: Image Entertainment's "Shoeshine"

Bit of a disappointment.
Unfortunately the print used for this DVD was quite damaged. It is similar, if not worse than the Image Entertainment 'The Bicycle Thief' DVD. I was aware that this was not restored, but am quite disappointed in the quality. It is hard to be too upset, because at least they came out with the DVD, but I know Criterion would have put some real effort into restoration. There are scratches and damage throughout . The sound has a slight background 'hiss", but actually it is not too bad. There are no extras. Sadly, I give this 2 out of 5.
My full review with screen captures is HERE
Regards,

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It's unfortunate about the film damage. As you mentioned, the same problems plague The Bicycle Thief DVD.
On the other hand, it's a chance to see this highly regarded film...and it's probably never going to look better without some significant restoration of some kind.
I'll probably pick this one up anyway, but thanks for the warning.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm with Rain. I'd never seen Shoeshine before and I'm glad I picked it up, warts and all. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks