What's new

DVD Retailers in Tokyo (1 Viewer)

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know which DVD retailers are the best in Tokyo? Addresses if possible, would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Liberty, Tower, Virgin Superstore ummm, seriously, just go to Akihabara, you'll find DVD :)
Key phrase-
"DVD wa dohko des kah?"(Where can I find DVD) If they are confused, try pronouncing it Dee-bee-dee
For addresses, the Japanese numbering system is so screwed up that you're better off just wandering. Seriously.
Jeff Kleist

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Jeff has it right when he says just go to Akihabara. However, there is no Tower or Virgin Megastores in Akihabara. The best places to find DVD in Akihabara (the v is pronounced "vwee") are at Ishimaru (there are 3 of them in Akihabara) and Disk Union (in Ochanomizu--one stop from Akihabara on the Yellow Line). If you go to Shinjuku you can visit Tower (Shibuya Tower actually is bigger) and HMV. All of these places can be visited in one day because they are close to one another.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
In Japan, discounts of 10% are generally given as store coupons good on next or future purchase. That is the way Ishimaru works. The best place in Akihabara is Dynamic Audio. They give 15 % discount up front. No coupons. The Dynamic Audio store is about three buildings to the West of Ishimaru Soft 1. This is on street that intersects with the main street. North East corner at main intersection is Yamagia main store. Nortwest corner is Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi. Head West from this intersection about two blocks. Dynamic Audio is on North East corner of next "main" street. HMV and Tower use point card system for discounts. The best HMV is the one in Shibuya. I highly recommend Dynamic Audio.

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Roger,
Thanks for that update on Dynamic audio. Disk Union is where I usually go when I am in Tokyo (they give 10-12% up front the last time I was there). Have you been there before?
Either way, a lot of great places to visit when visitors come to visit.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Tomoko, not familiar with Disc Union. Yesterday I was in Yamagiwa (6th floor). They had Fox titles at 20% off yesterday. I think discount there is like Ishimaru using store coupons.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Ishimaru in Tokyo now has a new theme. The discount varies depending upon the quanity of discs purchased. Range is from 10% up to 20% discount.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Wish I were there Roger, I have about 4 or 5 titles I want, and the lack of shipping, as well as that discount sounds mighty sweet
Jeff Kleist

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
Hey guys,

How available are region 1 or 0 DVDs for sale or rental in the Tokyo area? I'm moving to Kawasaki City and my poor little DVD player is only region 1! How will I get my movie fix?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't have too much problem finding region 1 product in Akihabara in Tokyo

You could just buy yourself a nice multi-region player while you're there and you're set. Yes, it'll work back in the states too.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Shane, Region 1 titles are easily available in Tokyo but at 2X the USA list price.

Simple solution........I order my DVDs from Laser's Edge...one of the HTF sponsors. They offer fair prices and flawless service. DHL parcels arrive in 30 hours from pick-up in Indy these days.

All region players are also easily available in Tokyo. There is a JVC model that has built-in PAL to NTSC conversion that plays anything.

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
I agree with Roger. There is one place at Sato Musen (one block from the station exit and on the left--up about 3 floors). However, that place will charge you so much for region 1 discs.

By the way, Roger, I was at Dynamic Audio 2 months ago and it does have the best discounts. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks