dvd resolution, line doubling, htpc vs standalone???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geno, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

I have an epson [3 LCD] projector native res. 1024x768. it also has a line doubler inside so s-video and rca[composite] look better. currently, I run a regular dvd player thru s video to my projector. now common sense says if I was to go HTPC, then I would use my monitor out. and get 1024x768 res. my question is, how much better would that be over what I have setup now? wouldnt the computer just scale the dvd res. up to 1024 which is what my projector does with the s-video sinal anyway. if I am missing something, someone please let me know. basically, which way will the imnage look sharper. ps my screen size is 12' diagonal.

geno

ps if this would be better in the display area, mods please repeat this thread in that forum, thanks

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

anyone?

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Well, depending on the LCD, the internal scaler is probably far inferior to the scaling of a HTPC. What epson do you have?

4. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

its a multimedia epson powerlite 710c

dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the picture now but I am curious as to how good it can get with what I have. picture looks better than a friends widescreed HDTV but he doesnt have a HD signal yet. you can definately see the pixelation on his screen. I was just wondering how crisp I could get it.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

My advice would be to grab a PC off your desktop and try it out. Even if the computer doesn't have the best video card- it should give you a ballpark of what to expect.

I would say the hardware scaling of a top quality card would be night and day difference of an analog deinterlacing done by the chip built into a mid range LCD. I have seen HTPC scaling compared favorably to scalers previously in the $10,000 range.

But, your eyes might tell you a different story. So best bet is to grab a pc and do some experimenting.

-Vince

6. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

hahaha just dont have the dvd player, I guess I could try a video cd. I have played games on the projector and that is what initially cause this curiosity. I thought there was a program that blew up the image then scaled it back down to fit the resolution of the output. im sure its possible I justwanted to see what others thought

thanks

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The PowerLite 710c, if I remember correctly (my wife worked for Epson) didn't have the best scaler. Depending on your own pickiness, you'll probably see a pretty good jump in visual quality with a HTPC.