What's new

DVD Repair Kits? (1 Viewer)

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
Could anyone tell me which is the best way to repair scratched DVDS? I've seen those Doctor DVD and Skip Doctor kits around and was wondering if they were worth getting.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
There apparently is a way to do it, as a used game/DVD store I visit has a huge pile of discs awaiting "repair". I assume they have some success at doing it if they bother to collect bad discs.

I'll be a-watchin' the thread!

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I use the skip doctor (The manual hand crank one) and I like it pretty well. It'll get rid of most/all surface scratches but the deep ones will still show up.

dannyCraigs

Agent
the skip doctor works well, but don't expect your discs to look perfect afterwards. The actual process used by the skip doctor to rub away at the disks surface will leave a kind of spirall patern on the disc, no matter how much lubricant you use :) So, my advice is to only use it if the scratches are affecting playback. Don't bother doing it for light scratches that make no difference.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
The "Doctor" kits usually come with a little buffing pad to help you get rid of the swirl marks. Your fingers will probably hate you if you have a lot of discs to fix, but it usually works.

dannyCraigs

Agent
Alex,
whatever you do, it will leave very light scratches on your disk, none that will affect playback. The buffing does not erase the pattern completly.

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Ian,

I move approx. 100 used discs per wk., and realize the machines on your link could easily pay for themselves, however, I couldn't find any of the pages with price info; please help.

Bob Engleman

Ian_H

Supporting Actor

Yeah I was being a little facetious. We have the machine at work. It runs something like $17,000 bucks. Its a great machine though. You just load up a bunch of discs of the same type (cd, dvd, video games) tell the machine how bad of shape the discs are in and it does all the work.

I used the Model 1000 machine before and it sucks for DVD. It was one of thier first machines and is really only good for CDs.

--Ian

mikey ra

Stunt Coordinator
I mailed in my dvd to inet.com site and had them repair a scratched disc. Worked fine and came back in a pristine condition. Only did this once for a disc (picked the disc up used and the scratch was medium and affected playback).

My problem is this, when I see a scratched disc in my collection, my DVD "OCD" kicks in and I worry about the disc, even though I know it still plays fine (no defects)on my Sony DVD player. In fact I was worried this morning when I saw that a disc I viewed recently had a small scratch or mark on it. I'm in my happy place and much better now.

I try my best to keep my discs in pristine condition, but every now and then there will be small scratches on the disc. Sometimes this happens when I am brushing off dust particles with a lint free cloth. Does this happen to anyone else? Any reccomendations to better "wipe off" a disc without the possibility of causing a scratch?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks