1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD releases where you prefer the older transfer.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David (C), Jul 18, 2006.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Well, of course It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World (LD version)

But also....

I'm not sure if one transfer is better than another, but something
    bothers me about John Landis having to "dumb down" the transfer
    of Animal House SE because the restored version looked
    far too pristine.

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Terrific thread!

Alien - more information on either side on the 1999 version, and the "Here kitty" sequence hasn't had a sepia-wash makeover.

Sid & Nancy - the Criterion still reigns supreme; the colour timing on all the other releases is way off.

EDIT: Add to that Criterion's The Unbearable Lightness of Being - all the sharpness, plus the cooler, more "European" tones to the photography. It's also on one disc.

The Long Good Friday - the Criterion isn't perfect, but still looks remarkable for a 1998 non-anamorphic low-bitrate disc - it's got a more filmlike edge; the 16x9 Anchor Bay has a smudginess to the image and slightly over-saturated colours.

3. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    Agreed with City Lights. The newer Warner Region 1 was release with PAL speed-up. Cropped too. And at the time people were voting the boxset for release of the year ... go figure.

4. MorganP

MorganP Agent

Thanks for recommending this! Even without the television version it is a superb DVD -- great transfer and extras, terrific menus, and you're absolutely right about the color timing. Any change to the color pallette of Halloween would be blasphemy.

5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino

As is the LD.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino

Have you compared the two releases Jim?

I have and I stand by my comments.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The LD is certainly not misframed, nor is it inferior to any other available video release...EVER. An even better cut may come out in the future, though that's doubtful, and a different issue than the current thread is covering.

8. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

I admit I have not, but I can't imagine a non-anamorphic disc looking sharper and more defined than a anamorphic one on a 16:9 setup. There's just no substitute for the decreased resolution.

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

One glance at the two versions of the Todd-AO OKLAHOMA! and you'd know how it's possible.

10. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Since I detest musicals, that will never happen. [​IMG]

11. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Cinematographer

Jeff Adkins
    Wasn't the MGM release of Silence Of The Lambs supervised by the Director Of Photography? The anamorphic MGM transfer is much sharper and is progressive, whereas the non-anamorphic Criterion is simply a 30fps LD port from well over 10 years ago. I kept the Criterion for the extras but for watching the film, it's MGM all the way on this one.

http://dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/silence.htm

12. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I don't know for certain on the MGM (I doubt it, given how wildly different the colour scheme is), but the Criterion definitely is ("The Silence of the Lambs is presented in its original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1. This new digital transfer was made from the 35mm interpositive and the 35mm Dolby® stereo magnetic master in consultation with cinematographer Tak Fujimoto.").

On the Criterion commentary, Jonathan Demme talks about Tak Fujimoto's love of reds, which are very much present on the Criterion transfer, but muted on the MGM.

13. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Check out this, which basically confirms both transfers were supervised by Tak Fujimoto (pay particular attention to the last Q/A): http://www.dvdverdict.com/interviews/silence.php. I, too, am unclear on the color scheme shift in light of this.

14. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

Evil Dead 2 THX blows away the DiviMax version. The DiviMax version is too bright and has the rod on the "fly ball" digitally removed.

15. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino

I believe The LD and the DVD are framed the same. I compared the two and they looked identical, though the LD looked horrible in comparison to the the terrific looking and sounding DVD. Have you compared the two George? Or do you have a link showing the LD is framed correctly while the DVD is not?

As to which version of the film is superior...we have been down that road many times. No need to travel again.

16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino

Imagine it.[​IMG]

17. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Funny how a 1.85:1 film can be cropped so differently. Take a look at DVD Beaver's screencaps. Both version exhibit cropping in different places.

18. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor
    Supporter

Patrick McCart

Well, we have a lot of examples of films being cleaned up to the point of "showing the strings." Consider how you can see Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten in the screening room in Citizen Kane when they should be obscured by shadow. Or how cables had to be painted out when North by Northwest was cleaned up for DVD since the sharp image revealed them. In the case of Animal House, I think it's great if Landis wanted to keep the film looking faithful to how it would be seen in 1978.

We all know of a director who keeps insisting that his films be made to look like they were made in 2006. [​IMG]

19. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I can not capture ld screenshots. But there is clearly more info, not just on the sides, but also top & bottom on the ld, and it's reasonable to assume that it's closer to the intended frame. Certainly, the director approved the ld release, and not the dvd.

20. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Are we talking about the MGM box-set on It's a mad....? I have that and could do some screenshots.