What's new

DVD releases where you prefer the older transfer. (1 Viewer)

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator
The V.I.P. edition transfer presents a Red Push on skin tones. The 2.35 framing has additional matting over DP Jost Vacano's supervised original 2.10 framing.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
All of the Image releases of Chaplin films. I have the mk2 ones but I only keep them for the extras.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I echo your echo. The MGM seems to have a steely blue cast to the colors, which is not how I remember it looking in theaters. The pro-logic sound on the Criterion is also better than the new 5.1 remix. I wish the compression was a little better on the Criterion, though.

Regards,

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Do you mean compared to the Masterpiece Collection? That reminds me - that's the only disc out of the collection I haven't seen yet. I already sold the 2001 edition. Oh, well. See above about "ignorance," "bliss," and "me..."

Doug

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I second that. The slowed-down versions of the First National shorts are unwatchable (don't know what Chaplin was thinkiong on some of those). Reminds me of the old Magnetic Video releases on VHS. Thanks goodness I'd gotten most of the Image releases. I never did get The Kid, but I even prefer my laserdisc version to the newer one.

The only one I like of the newer set(s) is The Gold Rush with the piano score. I've never liked the narrated version of that film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm surprised no one has mentioned GUYS AND DOLLS (though I do admit to preferring the newer version. Far less aliasing even if the color is flatter and the image cropped a bit.)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I'm not sure yet, but the new version of 'The Searchers' is somewhat jarring to look at. The differences in colors between the old-and-the-new DVD releases are somewhat unsettling. I have only watched the first 30 minutes of the latest Ultimate edition, so I don't want to say this will be my final answer...I could come around to everyone's point of view.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

How so? The Masterpiece Collection is vastly sharper. In the shot with Jeffries writing the letter, you can see that the stripes on his shirt are razor sharp. They're blurry on the old DVD.

Greg Black

Second Unit

Very true, it is noticeably sharper (which in turn accentuates the grain to a sometimes distracting effect, though I'm always an advocate of proper grain structure) but the color timing changes just don't sit right with me. The 2001 release has a warmer feel to it, which goes wonderfully with the summertime heat in the movie. The shots of the apartment complex at sunset illustrate this the best; the breathtakingly gorgeous hues in the original release aren't quite so emotionally stirring in the Masterpiece version. I'd say the flesh tones look more accurate in the 2001 version as well.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator

I completely forgot about that - I love that they added it in. Definitely the highlight of an otherwise so-so purchase.

I'll always have a soft spot for the '42 version, though. Watching that was my introduction to Chaplin and to classic film, in general. On Magnetic Video, no less!

Frank@N

Screenwriter
If this thread is around when the Ultimate Bond reissues hit R1, I imagine there will be many posts here.

Some of the Ultimates are clearly better, others don't appear to be.

There seems to be alot of tint issues with transfers that go too red or green, in addition to lots of framing changes.

I'm going by the R4 screen shots, so we'll see...

MorganP

Agent
So the Divimax 25th Anniversary Halloween wasn't good? What was wrong with it?

Someone please give me an Amazon link to the one I should pick up.

Greg Black

Second Unit

The 25th Anniversary edition has much weaker colors in many places in the film, and the color timing is different, making scenes that are supposed to be set in autumn look like spring (when the film was actually shot). Instead of having subdued browns, some scenes look too green. Here is a page highlighting some of the differences: http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-.../compare.shtml

It's a shame that the 25th Anniv. DVD is so sharp, because the color timing differences ruin it for me. Good to keep for the commentary, but the 1999 version is much more enjoyable to me.

Amazon link to 1999 release: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/630...v=glance&n=130

MorganP

Agent
Is the television version bonus the only difference between that one and the "Restored Limited Edition" also on Amazon? I suppose they otherwise have the same transfer, extras etc?

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

Looks gorgeous on a 100" screen to me. Yes, there's some grain in a few shots, but it's film grain, so it's supposed to be there. As for blurry, well, I don't think we're watching the same DVD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Upon closer viewing, I found that it has too much DVNR and it has interlacing glitches at nearly every splice. The DVNR is bad because it smears the great Saul Bass main titles. It doesn't help it's the general release cut either, but I guess that's what we have to live with now. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks