What's new

"DVD releases that don't!" (1 Viewer)

Flicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Young
Having a title from my "want list" listed as being released this summer through Amazon, I could hardly wait. Imagine my disappointment when for some unknown reason, it didn't become available.
The movie was a 1984 release titled "The Delivery Boys" and was distributed through New World/Pegasus for release June 12, 2007.
I know some movies are held up for DVD because of song clearance or distribution rights but why does one scheduled become cancelled? :frowning:

Brian D H

Second Unit
The release of "Ed Wood" was pulled from the shelves on it's street date. Copies were sold by mistake and wound up on ebay. I know, I bought one. In this case it was because comments on an easter-egg were seen as potentially damaging (or so I heard).

I would speculate that it is a rights (or libel) issue on one of the DVD extras and not on the movie itself. Either that or it was just seen as not profitable enough to release at this time.

Either way you may see it next year.

Thaellar

Agent
Real Name
Craig
I remember "Duel" was similarly pulled at release for some reason I don't remember and then re-surfaced shortly after.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I would think that the fact that it is a New World release has more to do with it.

Many of their titles are still on the shelf. Some slip through in bootleg copies, Anchor Bay has released some legit versions.

Who was the distributor of this one?

Flicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Young

I have an original copy on VHS and it says "New World Pictures and Pegasus Pictures present."
On the spine says New World Video.

I did try and make a DVD copy (for my own use, of course!) but the quality is not that good.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

In that case, I rememeber hearing at the time that the delay was because very close to the date it was originally supposed to be released, Dennis Weaver's daughter was killed by a runaway truck in Los Angeles

Flicker

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Young
Amazon I think. They can't (or won't) give me any details except it is not available. I had my pre-order in early enough so if they got any copies, I should have been on the receiving end.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that ed wood dvd was released without the problem clip, but it is actually still there.
you can find it on a computer by looking at the disc as a folder and finding the clip as a file.

anyway the original ed wood has been rather easy to find most of the time mixed right in on shelves with the "fixed" version.
one has a silver spine the other is black.

one other dvd pulled right on release day was little shop of horrors.
pulled version had a clip of the alt ending that was filmed but not finished.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
silver spine has it on the regular menu.
black spine doesnt.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

DELIVERY BOYS, like all the post-Corman New World releases, is owned by Lakeshore/Spyglass Entertainment. Starz/Anchor Bay for many years has been the de facto label for the '80's New World titles, but releases have slowed down in recent years, which could be indicative of probably a lack of quality materials to make masters with. High-profile movies from the library like BLACK MOON RISING and CHILDREN OF THE CORN have had multiple releases and recent reissues, but others like DELIVERY BOYS, as you said, never make it out of the bullpen.

But yeah, those are the parties to pester first in any case.

ted:r

Second Unit
"Boomerang" was pulled on release date for some reason, probably legal. Some copies escaped and Fox keeps promising it will be officially released.

"Panic In Needle Park", "Becket" and "La Dolce Vita" went through numerous release dates before they finally saw the light of day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks