DVD Release Dates

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jack Shappa, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

More and more people are putting better AV equipment into their homes. The line between movie theatres and home theatres is blurring. Now we have DVDs being released within months of their theatrical release. Matrix Revolutions is scheduled for DVD release on Jan 6th(!). In addition, DVD sales/rental revenue is rivaling or surpassing box office revenue. Are movie theatres' days numbered? Will we see simultaneous theatre/DVD releases, or DVD only releases (and not just the B-grade crap)?

I imagine there is a growing number of people (like myself) who have invested heavily into bringing the theatre experience home, and thus don't even go out to movies anymore, so I'm all for the quick theatre-to-DVD release turnaround.

- Cryo

2. Raymond_H

Raymond_H Stunt Coordinator

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I have to say 'no' to this too, but they do need to go through some major changes.

Except for the screen size and volume, I think that we're quickly passing them up, quality-wise.

What they need to do is to release more direct-to-videos, and leave the big screens for the blockbusters. We just can't see everything that is out - just because of the numbers, and when a good show does dome out, it frequently gets bumped because of next week's listings.

Glenn

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Theatres need to LOWER ticket prices and get BIGGER screens!!

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

6. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I can foresee a day in the not-too-distant future where theaters will all be *digital* such that the quality of the presentation can at least be provided in a consistent fashion.

Three-chip DLP projectors are getting more and more affordable; and I'm sure that Sony would be happy to provide the studios with a specialized version of their Blu-Ray technology for digital delivery of the films. (This "specialized" technology would include number encoding on the discs which would only allow them to be played back in participating theaters.) When I read recently that Warners spent 70 Million on the Matrix:Revolutions prints (in order to ensure the world wide simultaneous release); it seems almost inevitable that a digital distribution system will overtake analog film prints in the near future.

I can also foresee a possible "healthy symbiosis" between theaters and home DVDs. For example, for the big Summer "Tent Pole" movies, the Theaters could have special "DVD days" where the (slightly higher) price of the ticket also includes a DVD of the movie! This would cause a crush of people to descend on the theaters on "DVD day". (Why put up with bootleg iterations of the movie when you can legally have the "real deal"?) These "Movie DVDs" would include the complete theatrical version of the movie in anamorphic video and DD 5.1 audio; but would also include around 20-30 minutes of forced trailers for coming attractions and blatant advertisements. This would provide some incentive, of course, to go out and purchase the inevitable "Two-Disc Collectors Edition" when it streets three months later.

So, you see? There's still plenty of life left in the theater distribution channel for new movies.

7. StevenA

StevenA Second Unit

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

9. JohnN

JohnN Agent

Cry0 --

If you look it up, you will see that the demographics of the movie going public shows that around 60% of movie tickets are sold to people under 30 years of age.

As mentioned above, this demographic group uses the movie-going experience as a regular social event to be experienced with friends. This will not stop without another venue to take its place and plays right into Hollywood's hand.

Since the Hollywood studios cannot reliably pick the big box-office hits, they will continue to roll out volumes of formula-based product trying to catch that elusive mega-hit sleeper. If profits are good, some variations are tried to broaden the individual studio base for the future. Similarly the independent productions need first run theater exposure to help their marketing of product.

Going straight to video misses this high profit possibility.

I, like you have not been to a movie theater since I left the aforementioned demographic group. However, my dvd collection in no way mirrors recent box-office profit records.