DVD Region X for PS2 ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred Galpern, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Fred Galpern

Fred Galpern Agent

2. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Does it remove macrovision too? Could be a winner for $27, even if it doesn't remove macrovision.

3. Fred Galpern

Fred Galpern Agent

I just received an e-mail from the company that sells this. It is for region 2 PS2 only. Damn! Any suggestions other than Malata or Apex ? Any opinions on the techtronics.com mod chipped players?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

DO NOT TOUCH an modchipped PS2 unless you want it to die on you in a month or 2. No PS2 mod is reliable and will usually take the system with it.

The Malata or Skyworth is the way to go for a Region free deck

5. Fred Galpern

Fred Galpern Agent

I never heard of Skyworth. Do you have any more info? I have heard some negative things about the Malata players.

6. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Both players are extensively discussed at avsforum.com in the appropriate forum. Major difference: Malata does Pal2NTSC conversion, Skyworth does not. As a Malata owner I'll say that yes it does have some problems (as does my R1 Toshiba 3109) but for better or worse is the best region free player on the market RIGHT NOW. Tomorrow may be different.

Ted

7. dcaconnolly

dcaconnolly Extra

Just a comment from somewhere outside R1 where all players are all-code, and where we don't have a problem with PAL conversion because all TVs show both NTSC and PAL.

The current hottest DVD player in Hong Kong is the Pioneer DV 533K which for under $300 will play all codes plus music files on CD-R and CD-RW. But it apparently also plays ERC/R1 discs, which proves how pointless the ERC system is.

Which leads to the question of where we can I find a good list of the ERC/R1 discs? It doesn't seem to matter for owners of new players, but it would be very helpful if the retailers here could warn buyers about the ERC discs. Even Amazon gives only general warnings about the offending studios.

8. Kvit Lim

Kvit Lim Agent

Fred said:

9. Eric Wickitt

Eric Wickitt Agent

That number was on a sticker on the outside of my PS2 original box.... right at the top of the sticker in the upper right.

10. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

The new Gameshark 2 version 2.0 supports dvd playback of most regions. My question is what regions are NTSC? I am new to regional dvds. I am interested in getting into it for Eyes Wide Shut and a few others that were censored in North America.

11. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

12. Kevin_Roman

Kevin_Roman Auditioning

I don't have any multi-region discs yet. For those who do and have a PS2, I was told the following:

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That only works on Japanese first-run PS2s with the original memory card based software