1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD recording

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeRP, Oct 28, 2002.

1. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I'm interested in purchasing a DVD recorder. The primary usage - at first - will be to record my old family video tapes(VHS)onto the DVD-R or RW format.

After that I will probably want to record shows off the TV and when I bring my digital video camera home immediatlely transfer to DVD from the tape - I suppose via firewire. I've heard of the Pioneer 7000 and a Phillips model.

I also would like this thig to be a very good DVD player.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

ThanKS

Mike

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I'd suggest the Panasonic DMR-HS2, which has a firewire input; DVD-R, DVD-RAM & hard-disk recording; & progressive scan playback. Wonderful machine for around $780 or less. For more info on DVD recorders, look here.

3. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

DO NOT go with any Panasonic recorders unless you want your recordings washed out. All Panasonic recorders up until this point have an IRE bug which raises the IRE level from 7.5 to 15 when recording to DVD-r resulting in a washed out picture. I owned this machine and have seen examples of the 20 and 30.

The pioneer yields great results...but they don't have a recorder with hard drive at the moment in the US. Toshiba has come out with a Hard Drive recorder but not confirmed if it has this same black level bug.

Try AVSforum.com for a LOT of information.

4. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Yep, I know the "black level bug" is present, but it isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Having said that, Panasonic should definitely acknowledge it & provide a firmware fix. DVD recorders are still relatively new, so it's going to take some time for the technology to mature.

5. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Do a search in this forum on DVD recorders and you will find several threads debating the different models and recording platforms.

6. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

thanks guys--------I appreciate the info. I'll do as suggested and report back as I have questions!

Thanks

Mike