DVD Recording on DVD-R and DVD-RAM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ernest, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

Now that I have converted 60+ VHS tapes, SVHS Tapes and Laserdis to DVD-R (DVD-Video) I thought I would pass on things I have learned during my experience. I am using a Samsung DVD R3000 recorder / player that includes identical features as the Panasonic E30. Both units record DVD-R and DVD-RAM. I have ben using General Purpose DVD-R, $1.68 ea. and Type 2 DVD-RAM, $8.00 ea, no shipping charges.
    In every case the DVD-R recording will improve upon the source material. I record tapes using the Flexible Recordng feature wihich provides the highest bit rate for the tiem period set in the "Timer Recording". Because movies on laserdisc are normally stretched over two discs I have been recordig at the LP speed, 4 hours.n In either case the results are excellent.
    I found during playback if I turned off the progressive scan on my Panasonic RP82 the picture quality improved with most of the artifacts disappearing. I expermented similar results with my JVC pro scan player. I suspect it all has to do with 3:2 pulldown. I found this feature has no benefit when viewing home recorded DVD-R's.
    I tested finalized DVD-R's in several players, Pioneer, Samsung, Panasonic and JVC with excellent results, no failures. Finalizing converts the DVD-R to DVD-Video. DVD-Video is the format that plays on most players. It takes approximately 4 minutes to finalize a DVD-R.
    The design of the remote is excellent because the most used features can be sourced without entering the players menus, such as;
    Recording mode: XP 1 hour, SP 2 hours, LP 4 hours and EP 6 hours.
    Recording input: L1, L2, L3 and 2 - triple digit cable channels.
    The only time you need to use the menus is for "Timer Recording", entering titles and finalizing. The player automatically records chapter stops every 5 minutes.
    Standard DVD plastic cases sell for $29.00 per 100, no shipping charges. Ebay and Amazon are excellent sources for downloading cover material.
    Labeling the DVD is a personal choice. To avoid ruining a DVD because of poor labeling I choose to use a black magic marker. They do the job and eliminate the chance of ruining a DVD.
    Inconclusion I believe you can't go wrong with either format. I don't see a format war similar to Beta / VHS because when finalized DVD-R and DVD+R will play on most players. DVD-RAM and DVD+RW will only play on specific players containing the proper software.
    I purchased the recorder to convert over 75 VHS, SVHS and laserdisc titles to DVD and have little use for DVD-RAM or +RW. I also will be recording movies not on DVd that are on AMC, Turner and Fox broadcast in "letterbox". I am very happy and if anyone has any questions I can be reached at [email protected]

2. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Ernest, thanks for sharing your results.

I have the Panasonic E20 and have had much the same results. It's amazing how much the source material is improved by the E20. Many of the laserdiscs I've converted truly look like commercial DVDs except for the fancy menus and the quality improvement you get with anamorphic DVDs. I don't however feel the quality is acceptable using the 4 hr. recording mode and have been using the 2 hr. SP mode instead.

I also have a Pioneer Elite DV-37 for playing back DVD-Rs and this unit has an adjustment for progressive scan ranging from fast to slow. I find that by setting this to the far right or slow side I can eliminate most of the artifacting you're finding and still get the benefit of progressive scan. The Pioneer also has an IRE adjustment setting of either the US spec 7.5 or the Japanese spec of 0. The E20 when finalizing DVD-Rs brightens the image by almost exactly 7.5 IRE (the biggest flaw of this player) so that by changing the setting on the Pioneer to 0, the flaw is corrected--this makes it a simple correction rather than messing with the TV controls every time I watch a DVD-R.

3. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

4. Michael St. Clair

I thought that, for component video playback devices, 0 IRE is the US standard.

5. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

I can report the same results with my Panasonic E20, except I find the four-hour mode unacceptable for recording anything I want to keep. Stuff I have recorded at the two-hour mode looks exactly like the source or -- in the case of VHS tapes as a source -- actually a little better. For LDs that are a little over two hours, I use the flexi mode to massage a little more time out a disc. That looks much better than LP mode, which, again, I find unacceptable.

I also have an older Panasonic DMR-E10, which I bought from Amazon.com when they were selling them out for $400. This unit doesn't do DVD-R, but it does do DVD-RAM. Frequently, I make edits on DVD-RAM (taking out commercials, etc.) and dub from the E10 to DVD-R on the E20. Results are excellent. I haven't overly scrutinized the resulting DVD-R copies, but to me they look indistinguishable from the original DVD-RAM recordings. When I'm done with that, the DVD-RAM gets erased for future use. If there is a slight loss in quality, I don't want to know about it! The results are great.

6. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

When you archive your laserdisc on recordable DVD's, are they still dolby digital (assuming the source material is dolby digital)?

7. Mike Brantley

Mike Brantley Stunt Coordinator

Not when you do it with any of the stand-alone DVD recording decks that we're talking about -- at least not that I know of. My machine has analog inputs only. It may be possible to do it with a computer rig at this time, but then I don't really know. The resulting DVD-R is encoded as Dolby Digital 2.0, I believe.

Mostly, I use my E20 recorder for making DVDs of older films that have mono, stereo or simple Pro Logic soundtracks only, so it's not an issue for me. I have no trouble finding most newer stuff I want already on DVD.

8. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    The 4 hour mode is fine for copying stuff from VHS SP tapes that I have made over the years. I do not notice any degradation in video quality. In fact there might be a sliver of improvement. I agree this speed is not up to snuff when archiving Laserdiscs. I can't wait for the Panasonic DVD recorder with the hardrive to come out. That unit is going to be a great upgrade and compliment to the E20.

9. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

I just got the DMR-HS2 and I've noticed a big difference between DVD-R and DVD-RAM. When I burn to DVD-RAM...it looks exactly like the original copy that is in my hard drive. However, DVD-R definitely lightens the material making it look washed out. I did a direct comparison between what was in the hard drive and the finalized DVD-R and there's a big difference. It makes it look a good deal worse in comparison and it's a difference that's difficult to swallow. Can you tell me if there's a way to fix this?

You said something about IRE but I'm not familiar with this. And why would there be a difference with DVD-R and DVD-RAM?

10. Antony Jackson

Antony Jackson Auditioning

I live in the UK and has a friend who has bought the Panasonic E30 DVD recorder.

Through tests etc we have worked out pretty much all the questions I had, so much so that I will porbably be buying one myself this weekend.

However, we have found one thing we cannot explain, and wondered if anyone here could help.

If we make a single recording on a DVD-R disc that is greater than about 84 minutes (say of a movie), some players we tested on will lock up at around 84 minutes. The picture freezes on screen. These same players will play a disc of multiple recordings (say of several TV shows) that total greater than 84 minutes, fine and dandy.

Anyone know why the single, longer recording could cause problems??

Finally, if I do get one, any interested trading TV shows? I live in the UK and can record them in PAL, but can view NTSC recordings with problem.

11. Dale Van Minsel

Dale Van Minsel Auditioning

Would someone review the procedure for using the Flexible Recording (FR)Timer Record mode on the Panasonic E20 for recording from a VCR or LaserDisc player.

Thank you.